Mesa Boogie now has overdrive pedals.

Started by Instant Dan, November 28, 2012, 03:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

Chovie D

Dan were you aware of the mesa twin v pedal? I think it is kind of like their amp in a box pedal you want, uses real tubes etc. supposed ot be pretty good. Racer X has one I think , but i dont think he uses teh overdrive for some weird reason? expensive pedal.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/V-Twin/v-twin.html

Instant Dan

Oh yeah, I thought about getting that or a Soldano GTO a few years back. I've heard from RacerX that it is ok, nothing amazing.

Chovie D

I have a seymour duncan twin tube with little tubes in it that I think is a fabulous pedal.
Before I found it I was considering the twin v.
the duncan is considerably cheaper but uses old military tubes so when the tubes go , its back to the factory for repair.
Ive had it repaired twice now in 4 years, both times for free minus shipping.

anyway if youre ever interested in tubey pedals thats one Id suggest listening to.

RacerX

The only reason I run the V-Twin is because I need a preamp in front of my power amp. Since I'm already getting plenty of gain from pedals & power tubes, I run the V-Twin clean & just use its tone stack.
Livin' The Life.

eddiefive10

I had the vtwin and hated it, luckily I got it for a steal!!

Chovie D

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

weird...so your power amp has a preamp and 6l6's but no tone stack?

eoin_not_ian

The absence of a bass overdrive displeases me. I would have thought that a pedal version of the Big Block 750 overdrive would have been vaguely possible.

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on November 28, 2012, 07:41:36 PM
weird...so your power amp has a preamp and 6l6's but no tone stack?

It does have some 12AX7s in it, but I don't think that section constitutes a true preamp. From what I understand, it was designed to work with a rackmount preamp, either the V-Twin rack unit they used to make or the newer Triaxis model. It's definitely not loud enough on its own without an outboard pre.

EDIT: Here, just found this on another forum:

the 50/50 does always contain 12AX7 tubes--three, IIRC. they're drivers for the input stage and other functions; they don't add any tone coloration to speak of, and they are housed within the chassis so you wouldn't see them in a pic.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

wow. interesting setup. as long as it works for you.
if you ever get the opportunity you shoud consider trying the duncan pedal, its a great preamp AND overdrive.

Jake

I also had a Mesa V-Twin way back in the late '90s or early '00s. It was pretty cool, but it didn't ever play nice with the amps I had then. Probably best utilized how Racer is using it, is my guess.
poop.

RacerX

I've thought long & hard of replacing it with another preamp, even discussed an idea with Senor Dunwich, but I just can't afford it at this point. I've needed new guitar & speaker cables for months & haven't even been able to afford those. The Duncan sounds like it could be cool, as do the Verellen and Soldano, but between lack of fundage & being afraid to fuck with a "tone foundation" piece of gear such as a preamp, not likely soon. 
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

Quote from: RacerX on November 28, 2012, 10:49:38 PM
I've thought long & hard of replacing it with another preamp, even discussed an idea with Senor Dunwich, but I just can't afford it at this point. I've needed new guitar & speaker cables for months & haven't even been able to afford those. The Duncan sounds like it could be cool, as do the Verellen and Soldano, but between lack of fundage & being afraid to fuck with a "tone foundation" piece of gear such as a preamp, not likely soon. 

yeah, I think youd be better off getting a vintage tube head with preamp , tone stack, etc.
But thats my solution for everyone  ;)

I have this feeling that as the economy begins to improve slightly, we will see a rise in the cost of vintage amps...another price jump or bump if you will.. Id go buy a sub $500 silverface bassman or showman nowish, just to have in reserve.

I,Galactus

I'm a total boogie whore/fanboi, but those pedals look boring and will probably be overpriced.  :(
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

FullCustom

Is the green one a Tube Screamer clone? If so then that is sad. Send in the clones!

liquidsmoke

If one of those can do the Mark tones they will probably sell less Marks. I'd like to try them out.

Instant Dan

PG just demo'ed them. The Throttle-box sounds cool if I wanted hi-gain sounds, Fluid-drive sounds good for hard rock. Everything else sounded
'mehhish' to me.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2013/Jan/Mesa_Boogie_Tone_Burst_Throttle_Box_Grid_Slammer_and_Flux_Drive_Pedal_Reviews.aspx