Main Menu

Tunings and

Started by Dangling Fury, February 06, 2015, 11:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangling Fury

Curious to know what y'all are tuned to? I'm in C standard and will routinely tune the e sting down to A#

13-56 gauge wound G.

Danny G

My own music (guitar) is in E standard or D standard. 11-50's in both cases.

Other bands are E std, E flat. 11-50s

Bass is 45-105 in E std, E flat, drop D, and D std/drop C
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RacerX

Too many to list at this point.
Livin' The Life.

xayk

C standard, occasionally drop A#, 12-56 or 12-60 depending on the set/brand.

I got away with 10-52 "heavy top/light bottom" for a few months, but I've found my intonation is much better with the 12-60 set, particularly on the lighter strings.

EddieMullet

E standard Eb standard and occasional drop D.  Too lazy to re-set up for deeper tunings, as the Floyd Rose on my 80's Kramer makes that too much of a pain in the ass.

showdown

C standard, Ernie Ball 11-54. The 54 feels a little loose sometimes and the plain 22 is way too stiff, so I'd like to try a Rotosound 11-60 set sometime.

Pissy

Our stuff for the most part is E standard.  A few songs are in dropped D, but only a couple.   Speaking from a bass point of view, I'm E standard though.  Lordfinesse has about 4 differently tuned guitars for his parts though depending on what our set is.  I have no idea how he sets them up, but they're kinda wacky and whenever I pick one of those guitars up, I promptly put it back down.
Vinyls.   deal.

Danny G

Heh

That's gotta be hell on you as a bass player, you can't always look at his fret hand to see what chord he's hitting \m/,

The first band I played bass for, the rhythm guitar player used the Keith Richards tuning or something (DGDGBA). Fucked up my world to look at his fret hand if I got lost haha
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

lordfinesse

Most of my guitars are tuned weird. The one I'm favoring now is top string tuned down to low A, then the other strings are normal E std (A-D-G-B-E). The song Malamute on our last album has this tuning. The song Icewater Mansions from the same album uses a really strange tuning.. I can't even remember what it is. Weird tunings usually produce song ideas for me.

Edit: After thinking about it, only 2 songs (of 7) on our last album are in E std. I'd never thought about it before.
Billy Squier 24/7

neighbor664

These days I keep most of my guitars in E standard with 11s. I always keep at least one guitar in Open G.
I still have my 'weevil Ibanez in drop C with 13-56.
My bass is in E standard or drop D with flatwounds, I forget the gauge.

liquidsmoke

B standard 25&1/2" scale 13-56(want to switch to 14-60 or so)
F# standard 27" scale 17-68

My B standard 4 string P bass has the low 4 from a 5 string set although I swapped out the 125 for a 130 which is a little better for B.

Pissy

Quote from: Danny G on February 08, 2015, 12:08:15 PM
Heh

That's gotta be hell on you as a bass player, you can't always look at his fret hand to see what chord he's hitting \m/,

The first band I played bass for, the rhythm guitar player used the Keith Richards tuning or something (DGDGBA). Fucked up my world to look at his fret hand if I got lost haha

we work a little different.  Since me and Nate are the dummies, he's the one that has to 'correct' for our brief tangents.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I tune my oscillators just barely out of each other sometimes.
No Focus Pocus

Beta Cloud

Quote from: RAGER on February 08, 2015, 11:45:37 PM
I tune my oscillators just barely out of each other sometimes.

thanks for your two 'cents'.

see what i did there?
why does it hurt when i pee?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

eoin_not_ian

11-56 for D Standard/C sharp standard and drop C/B.

For same tunings on bass I use 50-120. Sometimes use a 145 for a low A on a five string.

eyeprod

These days I tune standard so I can play nicely with synths.

I also slightly detune my oscillators, as well as tuning one to 5ths, or both to the same note, and other variations depending on what sounds good at the moment.
CV - Slender Fungus

Dylan Thomas

Mostly tuned down one step with the low string down to C.  Dropped C.  11-49, would G.  I always like a wound G for better intonation and such.  Never liked using overly thick strings.

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

James1214

Basses in C standard, D# A# D# G# (dropped D and half a step down..... weird one) and E. All have Rotosound  45-105 roundwounds. The guitars are tuned to C standard and dropped C all use the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52 set.
words