Portland guitar shops and other cool stuff...

Started by clockwork green, October 17, 2012, 03:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

Next month I'll be spending about a week in Portland...it's been a few years since I've been and besides donuts at Voodoo and dinner at Pok-Pok and Beast, we're pretty open. I'm trying to save a few bucks so I can pick up a toy or two if I find something cool. Any suggestions for good guitar or even stereo shops or just anything else worth stopping by?

Oh...I'm definitely going to Ground Kontrol again.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

fallen

Pro guitar shop and old town music. And check out hippo hardware if you like old random stuff. They tear apart old houses and then resell all the bits and pieces.

clockwork green

Thanks...I've been to a few stores there a few times but I can never remember which was what.  Does proguitarshop.com have a shop in Portland now or just Eugene?

RAGER

Oh man so much stuff to do.  Trade up Music both locations, yes to Pro Guitar Shop in the Pearl but pricey, Old Town Music for sure, Briz Loan and Guitar(kill deals) across the river in Vancouver.  Look for shows at The Tube, The Know, Plan B, Dantes (maybe meh big club downtown ya know)  I mainly hang in ne portland ie: Alberta st, Mississippi Ave,Killingsworth, Williams,Russell.  Lots of good food and curios.  Good luck have fun and put a bird on it.
No Focus Pocus

chille01

Another vote for Old Town Music. And don't forget one of the coolest things about Portland - microbrew. You can drown yourself in pints there and not drink the same beer twice. Even the strip clubs have 12 taps.

ryansummit

my fathers place for chickenfried steak
get pancakes instead of toast
a white russian instead of coffee
an obrien the taters
and your stylin for under $10
otherwise portland didnt like me
and told me to go back where i came from
stay away from all chinese food and pizza.....blech

clockwork green

I love the food in Portland...all of the food carts, the restaurants etc.  If Beast was in SF, LA or NY it would have 2 Michelin stars and would get a ton of press.  I tend to stay away from ethnic food unless there is a fairly large community of that group and I can't even recall seeing Chinese people in Portland.  It's also cool that everything in Portland feels like a giant 25-50% off compared to bay area prices plus I like vacation to places that don't feel like vacations. 

clockwork green

Is there a site for a list of live shows? We have a pretty comprehensive one for the Bay Area and I've seen others for LA and New York but Portland seems to enjoy trying to keep the cool stuff under wraps so I could see it going either way. If possible, I'd like to see a good show while I'm there.

mutantcolors

I was there a few weeks (shit okay...2mos ago) and was properly introduced to C Bar and Ships Ahoy. Ground Kontrol is kinda legendary but these places are neighbors and both have The Beers (note the capitalization) and sweet vintage pinball.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=c+bar+portland&ll=45.493322,-122.635625&spn=0.001103,0.002063&fb=1&gl=us&hq=c+bar+portland&hnear=c+bar+portland&cid=0,0,3984651590691094084&t=h&z=20