Main Menu

Ampeg or Mesa

Started by bbottom, October 22, 2012, 11:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullCustom

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 24, 2012, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: FullCustom on October 24, 2012, 11:48:44 AM
Yes, 8 Ohm speakers in series/parallel/parallel or parallel/series/parallel will give you the same resistive load. But not the same inductive load as the 32 ohm 10's.  
rephrasing why is this important?
Cause the inductance of your load is going to affect your low frequency response.

Mr. Foxen

The nominal impedance itself pretty much tells you nothing regarding sound. And changing the nominal impedance will change lots of other things that will affect the sound, which you can then adjust accordingly with other factors, and end up with basically the same sound, or a completely different sound.

Jake

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 24, 2012, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on October 23, 2012, 03:43:33 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on October 23, 2012, 10:48:25 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 23, 2012, 10:43:15 AM

i'm assuming that is some sort of compressor next to the tuner? . . .

Nope, That's Dixie's dirtbox.

and what might that be, jake?

Whatever it is, it took a very unceremonious shit during Weedeater's soundcheck in Denver three weeks ago, causing quite the delay. Shep ended up letting Dixie use what looked like a Muff for their show. Truth be told, Dixie sounded exactly the same as he always does.
poop.

bbottom

Well the Ampeg cab was made in like 92-93. Dude wants $250 for it. I tried to talk him down to $200 but he wouldn't bite.

I honestly don't need a new cab at this point, especially one that fucking big, so I may just buy one of the many pedals that I've been jonesing for instead.

FullCustom

Just let it go man, it wasn't meant to be.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Jake on October 24, 2012, 06:54:28 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on October 24, 2012, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on October 23, 2012, 03:43:33 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on October 23, 2012, 10:48:25 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 23, 2012, 10:43:15 AM

i'm assuming that is some sort of compressor next to the tuner? . . .

Nope, That's Dixie's dirtbox.

and what might that be, jake?

Whatever it is, it took a very unceremonious shit during Weedeater's soundcheck in Denver three weeks ago, causing quite the delay. Shep ended up letting Dixie use what looked like a Muff for their show. Truth be told, Dixie sounded exactly the same as he always does.

you know, in looking at that photo, it looks like he isn't even going into the top head, just the slave unit. so maybe it is a preamp based on that concert bass?

clockwork green

At home I run a SansAmp into a Concert Slave and into a 2x15 loaded with EV's and its a hell of a bass sound despite being cheap and simple. Those concert slaves are awesome amps for being solid state.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Danny G

If the Mesa has EV's I say go for it.

I've been running an old beat to shit Dietz 2x15 with EV's and couldnt be happier
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Ayek

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 25, 2012, 11:57:33 AM

you know, in looking at that photo, it looks like he isn't even going into the top head, just the slave unit. so maybe it is a preamp based on that concert bass?

You can see the little tie up dealie on the plug in the bottom input of the Concert Lead, then it tucks away in a leftward direction to where no one knows.

zachoff

$250 for an Ampeg 810 is a hell of a deal...  I got mine for $400 beat to hell and old (I have the old 400W version).  I've tried a handful of other cabs and I always come back to my fridge.  It just feels right.  Plus you'll generally get more volume out of an 810 than you will out of a 215.