More speaker selection advice.....

Started by kirky, September 22, 2012, 12:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

I've got an empty 1x12 cab....looking for a speaker that would sound good with a 68' fender bassman head....the head is 50w 4ohm....

Lumpy

i don't know very much about guitar speakers, but I tried to learn a few things recently... I put an Eminence Lil' Texas in my 1x12 cabinet, and it sounds great. Neodymium (light weight), rated 125 watts (so you can hammer it), loud (sensitivity is 101 dB), and pretty well balanced/neutral sound. Doesn't add a lot of color. I was looking for something all-purpose, and use pedals to achieve the tone. My cab is open back Avatar. I wanted to make it a fool-proof utility cabinet, so visitors could use it with any head or guitar, and it would sound good/not blow. I also found a used one for a good price, which settled it.

I also heard good things about Eminence Red White & Blues, for similar reasons (good all-purpose speaker, 100 watts). Like the Lil Texas, it's American/Fender type speaker (as opposed to Marshall/British style).

The other speaker I thought about is the Jensen Jet Electric Lightning, which seems like an aggressive sounding, raw rock & roll speaker. But I decided to go with something more all-purpose. I guess Emperor uses Jensen Jets in their cabs (?) but I don't know which type (there are at least four - Blackbird is another one) and they all look like really good speakers.

You can hear audio samples online at the manufacturer's websites.

Figure out what sound you want (or something neutral) then take into account your head and guitar/pickups, in case you need to balance the tonal aspects of something in your signal chain. You can start narrowing it down from there.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

Is it an open or closed cab and how loud are you planning on using it?

kirky

kirky

I think I want the British style speaker....I haven't found one in 4ohm...

Hemisaurus

Think Weber do most of theirs with a 4 ohm option, and with a Hemp cone option in this instance.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/axis12f.htm

Mr. Foxen

Small closed cabs can be a bit confining if you are into the sound of a 4x12 but quieter, they tend to have less than 1/4 of the internal air volume of a 4x12.