Budget-minded 2x15 bass cab recommendations?

Started by Discö Rice, August 15, 2012, 01:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

The vintage Ampegs are rated at 240 watts (30x8) and I think the 80s/90s ones are 400 watts (50x8). Probably most 8x10s will go lower and take more power.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

zachoff

The three 2x15s I've had were all so different.  The 1980 Bassman cab sounded awesome but wasn't super deep and farted out easily.  Sounded better with guitar being played through it than it did withbass.  I picked up an empty Emperor 2x15 cab and put Eminence Deltas in it.  Didn't sound that awesome.  I picked up a 70s Traynor 2x15, added some batting, and put EV Forces in there.  It's the best sounding of the three and was the cheapest (cab was free, speakers were $100, and new hardware was $5).  Gets the deepest and sounds good distorted.  I haven't played the old Peavey or Acoustic 2x15s but I'd like to.  2x15s are fun, but I still prefer my 8x10.  Now if I could figure out how to run both and not blow everyone away.... Heh.

Mr. Foxen

That is a lesson in speaker size having no relationship to sound.

Hemisaurus

It's kind of like asking which engine is fastest. :-\

zachoff

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on August 17, 2012, 05:40:53 PM
That is a lesson in speaker size having no relationship to sound.

Oh, for sure.  I've also had 4 1x15 combos and they were all way different too.  Yorkville 400B could get crazy loud but didn't sound that great, Crate BX100 was junk, old Ampeg B115 sounds good and can get loud, and my old Univox sounds awesome but doesn't get loud at all.  Throw on top of that the amp you're using and it gets even nuttier.  Playing through my Earth after my SVT is like night and day through any cab.

Hemisaurus

People talking about speaker size and frequency, like it's a defined relationship, always makes me think of this

16x5" goes down to 20Hz handles 1600W

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 17, 2012, 07:09:53 PM
People talking about speaker size and frequency, like it's a defined relationship, always makes me think of this

16x5" goes down to 20Hz handles 1600W
Last time I looked, that cab was priced at $10K.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

giantchris

I run a Sunn Beta Bass into an SWR Goliath Sr. and its pretty fucking loud.  Loud enough to completely drown the drummer out.  The Megagoliath is only going to be louder.  Honestly for $600 I'd go for a Goliath Sr. or try to find a Warwick 6x10 those are pretty nice.  I kinda feel that a 6x10 is loud enough and the ability to fit it into a smaller car is totally worth it.

Hemisaurus

Peavey 2x15 totally fits across the back seat of the 98-02 Corolla, you could probably stack two of 'em, never tried it. I have a 1x15" that lived in the trunk of the same car I used to leave it in there for practice. I'd imagine it's like a price / size /performance thing, you can get 2 of the 3. Explains why most of my cabs are too damn big :-\

So DR, what cab did you go with?

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 21, 2012, 10:36:13 AM
Peavey 2x15 totally fits across the back seat of the 98-02 Corolla, you could probably stack two of 'em, never tried it. I have a 1x15" that lived in the trunk of the same car I used to leave it in there for practice. I'd imagine it's like a price / size /performance thing, you can get 2 of the 3. Explains why most of my cabs are too damn big :-\

So DR, what cab did you go with?
Well, it isn't for me, it's for my band mate. She's got a line on a Mesa Road Ready 1x15 for a very good price.  She will be adding a second one when she can find it. At least that's the plan at this point.

Just curious - what do you'se guys think of 4x12 bass cabs?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Discö Rice on August 22, 2012, 12:35:51 AM
Just curious - what do you'se guys think of 4x12 bass cabs?

Speaker size tells you pretty much nothing. I had an Aguilar GS412 and its the second best cab I've owned, but it lacked upper mids, which made it kind of undefined, took the edges off fuzz great though. Had a few guitar cab with bass speakers in jobs that totally sucked.