Main Menu

Output Mute

Started by Hemisaurus, June 09, 2012, 03:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

I want to be able to mute an amp (tube), whilst still taking signal from it's Line Out. The Line Out is a tap on the output transformer secondary, so disabling the power tubes is not an option. All I can think of is a switchable load box, which worries me slightly, cause at switch time there may be a point where either no load is on the amp, or both loads are.

Anyone got a better idea? Or a better way to implement this idea?

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on June 09, 2012, 03:34:59 PM
I want to be able to mute an amp (tube), whilst still taking signal from it's Line Out. The Line Out is a tap on the output transformer secondary, so disabling the power tubes is not an option. All I can think of is a switchable load box, which worries me slightly, cause at switch time there may be a point where either no load is on the amp, or both loads are.

Anyone got a better idea? Or a better way to implement this idea?
]

Which tap is the line out attached to? I would simply build a box with a large power resistor, 50-100W with the same resistance as the tap impedance. Then dump your sound into that, now ur muted but u can still draw the line out to whatever. Does this need to happen on the fly or something, that would be problematic as you say with having some time where the OT sees no load

Hemisaurus

Yeah, it has to be on the fly, the amp is acting as a preamp for two amps, itself and another amp. I want to try and mute it, but leave the signal going through the other amp, and then switch it back in, like an A/B but unfortunately post amp. Otherwise yeah,  just a dummy load would do the job.

Mr. Foxen

This Hiwatt 200 PA I have is set up so you need two cabs plugged in before it gives output, by means of shorting hte jacks unless you have two. So shorting the output should mute signal without causing actual transformer death issues, not sure if it would change the tone though.

Hemisaurus

Interesting point, some older amps,like the Garnet we're talking about in the tech thread, and my Alamo, have the output shorted when no speaker is connected, rather than have it run open circuit.

I suppose I could short them rather than running a load, but I'd rather have some impedance there.

Maybe if I make sure the switch is make before break, so that at switching it's never OC' even if at one point both load and speaker are connected.

Mr. Foxen

Think most amps have shorting jacks, as shorted is always more desirable than open. Not sure how speakon output ones work, but my modern Ashdown valve amp had shorting jacks.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on June 09, 2012, 05:59:46 PM
Think most amps have shorting jacks, as shorted is always more desirable than open. Not sure how speakon output ones work, but my modern Ashdown valve amp had shorting jacks.
They do make switched speakon connectors. http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/speakon-chassis-connectors/nl4md-v-s

Ayek

What about modding the amp so the line out comes off the preamp instead of the OT?

Hemisaurus

That's an idea, wish I could find the schematic, I have it somewhere on one of my machines.

Probably could also take it out of the FX send, I do like the sound of it post power tubes though.