Main Menu

Stereo System

Started by ROWDYBEER, February 25, 2012, 01:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROWDYBEER

Need a loud stereo system for my shop. (1,200+ sq ft.) Loud with good bass response. Have about 200-300 to spend. Used would be better so shit I can pick up on craigs list.

Already got some 70's Optonica amp that isnt that great and some 70's magnavox speakers that at least with the optonica arent that great.

So Im not trying to get all audiophile on the situation. Just need some good sounding loud speakers and an amp. Mostly going to use an ipod or whatever something that uses an 1/8 audio jack.

What do you think I should look for?

This is a jam room subject because I will use the system to listen to your music and music my band records at practice etc.

Thanks

BEERS!!!!!

RAGER

I'm fond of the older JVC stuff.  cheap ,plentiful, and reliable
No Focus Pocus

ROWDYBEER

if you have some model #'s that would rule. theres always a ton of shit on craigslist and I dont know whats good and whats bad. Specially since I want it for music not surround sound movie audio.

Jor el

I have a 600 sq ft. garage.
I put my old computer speakers oot there.
Hung the speakers up high on the wall, and put the sub/amp under the workbench.
Just a volume control and an iPod dock.

Sounds fantastic.
And loud.
What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

JVC AX R-350 is what I'm currently using as an amp
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

$200-$300. definitely get used

get  ported cabinets as they are more efficient than sealed enclosures. and actually, cheap speakers work better for garages since they are generally more efficient than higher quality ones

brand name isnt real important for this

most amps can handle 4 8ohm speakers (get 4ohms on each channel)

the trick of locating the speakers at even or above head level make the sound way bigger. i always try to do this whenever possible.
Plus,  putting them in the upper corners uses that whole corner as a giant bass horn. bass is restricted to 1/8 of its normal sphere of radiation so it is beefier than if speakers were just out in the room.  small speakers sound way bigger than they are.