Near Gear Day

Started by dunwichamps, February 01, 2012, 08:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry Lazer

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 10, 2012, 11:21:29 PM
Quote from: clockwork green on February 10, 2012, 10:21:49 PM
Reverses the rotation of the Earth

My hero.

6l6s in the v4 hurts my feelings. It's like EL34s in a Model T. Get some 6550s for it, Ben. That headroom will return. It seems like that amp would destroy 6l6s if used with major volume. The v4 is somewhat of an oddity, ampwise. Panama City tube amp guy sounds foul.

while i agree in theory, i can't find anyone who I would trust in doing that mod around here (your tech maybe). I have read about another mod that people recommend if you are going to use 6550 and run it hotter (i.e. "moved R53 to filter cap as per later Ampeg revisions (this reduces heat buildup which will damage the PCB)". but my v4 sounds amazing when my bassist uses it. i am afraid to fix what technically ain't broken. A lot of people seem to have reliability issues with their V4 and im scared of fucking up what is already a good thing.

but converge use 6550 converted V4s and their live tone is pure tits! aaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

VOLVO)))

I am my tech now, hahaha.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

Everytime I've seen Converge live I've always come away thinking how bad their live tone is. It's always been bad in the same way, harsh/thin vocals because he cups the mic and the guitars have always been ice-picky to the pony where it often sounds like white noise and every riff sounds the same.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Blueberry Lazer

i'm not the biggest converge fan on the planet and have even stated opinions quite similar to yours about their live show on the old message board, but have always walked away impressed with the guitar tones. maybe my ears love dicks in them .

clockwork green

That's a little clearer than what I've heard live although a lot of that probably has to do with relative volume levels of my headphones/computer speakers vs a live PA.  Still though that sums up what I don't like...I have almost no idea what Kurt's playing 75% of the time, it's a blurry screech. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

bass sic

I like the words in the second verse.

bbottom

I picked up a "new" MIA jazz bass today

It's an 03 MIA Jazz. Like my P bass, it has the S1 switch.

I always dug the orange color and you almost never see it anymore.

I already have a few things in mind that I'm going to change about it (the PG being the main thing) so stay tuned.....

Mr. Foxen

grimniggzy

Quote from: bbottom on February 14, 2012, 06:13:51 PM
I picked up a "new" MIA jazz bass today

It's an 03 MIA Jazz. Like my P bass, it has the S1 switch.

I always dug the orange color and you almost never see it anymore.

I already have a few things in mind that I'm going to change about it (the PG being the main thing) so stay tuned.....

Yeah, that orange is fucking sweet. It's been discontinued for at least a few years now.

FullCustom

JJ had some problems in 2008 when they went RoHs, they are fine now.  Their 6L6GC and 7027A are very similar, I still use the 7027A when I retube a V4.  I just think they work better.  But I have used their 6L6GC in a V4 before and it worked fine.  As long as you use a 6L6 that can run at 5881 Spec (30 Watts PD) it will work fine. 

dunwichamps

Quote from: FullCustom on February 15, 2012, 10:24:39 AM
JJ had some problems in 2008 when they went RoHs, they are fine now.  Their 6L6GC and 7027A are very similar, I still use the 7027A when I retube a V4.  I just think they work better.  But I have used their 6L6GC in a V4 before and it worked fine.  As long as you use a 6L6 that can run at 5881 Spec (30 Watts PD) it will work fine. 

Actually 5881 have only 23W max DC diss

Source

http://www.drtube.com/datasheets/5881-tungsol1962.pdf

I didnt know that JJ has RoHs problems interesting. I have had pretty good luck with them

FullCustom

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 15, 2012, 10:26:52 AM
Quote from: FullCustom on February 15, 2012, 10:24:39 AM

Actually 5881 have only 23W max DC diss

Source

http://www.drtube.com/datasheets/5881-tungsol1962.pdf

I didnt know that JJ has RoHs problems interesting. I have had pretty good luck with them
Had RoHos problems, they're good now.  And have been fine for a while. 
5881 tubes can have a max PD from 23 up to 30 watts data sheets are your best friend. 

grimniggzy

Gotsa Scrambler clone on its way in the mail. It should arrive today.

Mr. Foxen

Just notice that has the Electrovoice transformer, guess are both the same, same spec as partridge but not dipped.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 15, 2012, 05:46:27 PM
Just notice that has the Electrovoice transformer, guess are both the same, same spec as partridge but not dipped.

PT or OT?

Mr. Foxen

Can't see the PT but would assume they'll be the same, unless one was replaced, unlikely, hard to kill.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on February 15, 2012, 06:26:18 PM
Can't see the PT but would assume they'll be the same, unless one was replaced, unlikely, hard to kill.

thanks for heads up

Mr. Foxen

Info about the EV trannies here: http://www.chambonino.com/work/soundcity/city10.html

Same dude posted on my blog, as my The Roost amp uses them, and sounds great.

dunwichamps

yea i have seen his site b4, his own work is fuckin top notch, blows my lead dress to shit

Mr. Foxen

Chambo's apprentice is my go to guy for teching, he is just prototyping his own amps now.

dunwichamps

Some good SC amp shots, useful for me as I rebuild mine

i wish had a mentor of sorts, there only 1 other amp builder I know (Dual Stage Amps) but we have similar/comparable skills, no old folks who have lifes worth of knowledge

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 15, 2012, 08:51:33 PM
Some good SC amp shots, useful for me as I rebuild mine

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/Sound%20city%20restoration2/

And search in my blog linked in sig as there are loads of higher res pics.