Making a reverb tank into an instrument

Started by Lumpy, January 08, 2012, 12:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

I can run it into some filters maybe, or try to mangle the sound downstream, delay etc. There's def. little coils of copper wire on the supports, leading to the wrapped wires/clips (I guess that's the transducer?) This is all Greek to me. But I'm going to give it a go.

Making instruments > buying instruments, so if this works everybody is getting hugs. Big sloppy ones.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

moose23

Pretty sure I have an old reverb tank in my dad's attic, must get doing something similar with it.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Lumpy on January 10, 2012, 06:10:44 AM
I can run it into some filters maybe, or try to mangle the sound downstream, delay etc. There's def. little coils of copper wire on the supports, leading to the wrapped wires/clips (I guess that's the transducer?) This is all Greek to me. But I'm going to give it a go.

Making instruments > buying instruments, so if this works everybody is getting hugs. Big sloppy ones.

So it's definitely reverb springs as instrument, they are just making the sound, and you'll process them with other effects? That should be fine and dandy, just splice a 1/4" cord onto one of the cables.

Transducers is just a fancy way of saying speaker and microphone.

What you have is a speaker attached to a spring attached to a microphone.

Under normal operation sound enters the speaker, which makes the spring vibrate, which is heard by the microphone.
Under your operation, you make the spring vibrate, which is heard by the microphone.

It's nothing too fancy, that really is all it is.