small danelectro pedal love?

Started by justinhedrick, October 28, 2011, 03:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

(this is inspired by chovie's comment in my phaser thread).

any love for these?

i have a couple of them that are broken (you hear that hemi?).

i have the octave pedal which is cool to mess around with because you can turn the plain signal all the way off and get kind of crazy organish sounds.

i also have the french toast, which i like, i just wish it was a bit louder and the slap back echo. i used to own the compressor pedal, but someone walked off with it. honestly, all i used it for was to jack the compression knob and the level knob to add some noise to ambient parts.

i might look around for the cheap phaser pedal. which ones do you guys like?

moose23

I have a French Toast but don't really use it, no led makes it kinda useless to me. I built a tone machine clone and it sounds a lot better than the toast...

Lumpy

I like the PB&J Delay, French Toast fuzz, Chicken Salad vibrato, whichever (?) Tremelo. I like them because they are small, light and inexpensive.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Lumpy on October 28, 2011, 03:49:14 PM
I like the PB&J Delay, French Toast fuzz, Chicken Salad vibrato, whichever (?) Tremelo. I like them because they are small, light and inexpensive.

i think they sound pretty good for what they are.

funny thing about the little slap back echo i have: if you put a battery that is about dead in it, it makes the delay longer and crappier. i've thought about having it modded to have a sag control on it, but really, for a $30 delay pedal it doesn't seem worth it.

grimniggzy

I rocked the 18V Cool Cat Chorus back in the day.
It's pretty cool.

Lumpy

I'd like to find a Talk Back reverse delay...

justinhedrick

Quote from: grimniggzy on October 28, 2011, 03:51:52 PM
I rocked the 18V Cool Cat Chorus back in the day.
It's pretty cool.

i remember reading that if you plug a just a connector (no cable attached to it) into one of the stereo outputs and run the other output to your amp you could fake a vibe.

not sure if it works or not?

bitter

First pedal I ever tried was a french toast. It was for bass so it was really just to add dirt. I don't believe I messed with the octave. Always liked the retro looks and funny diner menu names. Too bad they always used cheap plastic cases and lacked stage-worthy build quality. heh, they were cheap to begin with.  
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 28, 2011, 03:39:12 PM

i have a couple of them that are broken (you hear that hemi?).

i might look around for the cheap phaser pedal. which ones do you guys like?
Send 'em on :)

Though I have much love for Dano, the Behringers are replacing them in my affections, because they don't deliberately skip putting knobs on, and most of them are $23, where with Dano only the dirt is $15, $23 for a FZ-2 was a no-brainer as was another $23 for a PS-5

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 28, 2011, 03:51:20 PM
funny thing about the little slap back echo i have: if you put a battery that is about dead in it, it makes the delay longer and crappier. i've thought about having it modded to have a sag control on it, but really, for a $30 delay pedal it doesn't seem worth it.
Dano's latest powerbrick actually has an adjustable sag. Go figure.

Lumpy

The Danelectro knobs can snap off, leaving you with a little nubbin that you can adjust with a screwdriver  ::)

Chovie D

the rockabilly guys LOVE that littel slapback pedal .
I think its great too simply because ALL it does is slapback, you cannot screw it up by making the delay too long like I always do when I "think" i want slapback.  :D

Like I said, whenever you see one  of these for $5-10 just buy it, how can you go wrong?
The phaser is useable the compressor is useable, the overdrive is usable..Ive got maybe a dozen or so of these little guys.
I like them for when I dont wanna drag a whole pedalboard, I'll just throw one in my guitar case. or if I want a dedicated pedalboard for a not important side project or gig? Ill slap a few on a plank. dont have to worry about luggin my big heavy expensive pedals.

THE best of these pedals is the chicken salad which beats out $300 uni vibes to my ear. Its really fun to play. amp doesnt have tremolo? get a used tuna melt for $15 or so. real nice tremolo with both hard and soft chop.

The only one of these i have that completely blows is the black cofffee (metal) pedal, which I think sounds like a Boss HM2, which I also think blows, so your mileage may vary on that.

also I just have a gut feeling these may be collectibles in the future..but who the hell knows about that

moose23

Actually just remembered I had a lend of the OCD clone called the transparent overdrive which was great.

Ranbat

Corn Beef Reverb
Chili Dog Octave
Tuna Melt Tremolo
Milk Shake Chorus

I have one of the pedal boards they made for them too. They're fun pedals. I'll probably collect as many of them as I can. If the Black Coffee is an HM-2 clone, I'll definitely want one of those to goof with.
Meh :/

RacerX

I've got the Vibe and the Drive pedals. Both sound badass, esp. for the price, and they are in metal enclosures w/ true bypass. The Vibe is a damn good Univibe clone. Even so, I hate the lil' knobs on the Danos, and I esp. hate that they are on the back of the unit, facing away from the player. Still, they were both cheepcheepcheep, so I can't complain too much.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

They're pretty fun toys. Cheap and fragile toys.

Chili Dog
French Toast (x2)
poop.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Jake on October 29, 2011, 10:30:45 AM
Not picking on Jake in particular, but what are you guys doing with this stuff to break it?

I've managed to keep budget pedals and gear alive for years after other people say Oh I broke it in the first hour you dropping bricks on 'em or something? Or are you all like 400lb guys with size 18 boots and no inner ear balance? I mean c'mon a little gear respect and almost everything lasts.

Lumpy

Knob snapped off my PB&J Delay, I guess from stuff shifting around in my case as it was being transported (AC transformer probably fell out of the power strip)

Ranbat

The boxed ones came with the snap on knob protector. The newer carded ones don't and usually the used ones won't have them either. I believe they are sold separately though and pretty cheap if you think it's an issue.

Jake

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 29, 2011, 01:50:48 PM
Not picking on Jake in particular, but what are you guys doing with this stuff to break it?

I've managed to keep budget pedals and gear alive for years after other people say Oh I broke it in the first hour you dropping bricks on 'em or something? Or are you all like 400lb guys with size 18 boots and no inner ear balance? I mean c'mon a little gear respect and almost everything lasts.

I bought my first French Toast from Amazon brand new. It never ever left my home office, but after 6 or 7 times of plugging it in to play around with, the output jack just started failing. I never even stepped on it  - just kept it on the desk and clicked the switch with my thumb. After about 3 more times using it, it wouldn't turn on at all.

Since it sounded super cool, I bought another new one. Same thing. I opened it up to try to figure out what could be resoldered or tightened or whatever, but couldn't troubleshoot the problem.

I cannot stress enough how little these things were used and how babied they were. Yet, they committed suicide right on my office desk. Tragic.
poop.

Ranbat

Just picked up the Grilled Chees Distortion. Is it just me, or is there no control on the distortion level? The Resonance knob has a Wah pedal like sweep so you can dial in a mid sweep wah sound. I like it.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Ranbat on November 20, 2011, 09:48:31 AM
Just picked up the Grilled Chees Distortion. Is it just me, or is there no control on the distortion level? The Resonance knob has a Wah pedal like sweep so you can dial in a mid sweep wah sound. I like it.

yeah, the distortion level is set.

Chovie D

Quote from: Jake on October 30, 2011, 01:24:20 AM

I bought my first French Toast from Amazon brand new. It never ever left my home office, but after 6 or 7 times of plugging it in to play around with, the output jack just started failing. I never even stepped on it  - just kept it on the desk and clicked the switch with my thumb. After about 3 more times using it, it wouldn't turn on at all.

Since it sounded super cool, I bought another new one. Same thing. I opened it up to try to figure out what could be resoldered or tightened or whatever, but couldn't troubleshoot the problem.

I cannot stress enough how little these things were used and how babied they were. Yet, they committed suicide right on my office desk. Tragic.

weird, never heard of that defect and havent experienced myself and Ive used and abused these little guys. Actually, i do have an overdrive that will not turn off....but it came that way.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Chovie D on November 21, 2011, 11:42:41 AM
Quote from: Jake on October 30, 2011, 01:24:20 AM

weird, never heard of that defect and havent experienced myself and Ive used and abused these little guys. Actually, i do have an overdrive that will not turn off....but it came that way.

i think i blew a couple of mine up with an improperly wired power supply . . .

RAGER

Anybody got a chicken salad they wanna get rid of?
No Focus Pocus