Main Menu

God dammit, SG

Started by Mike_Sims, November 07, 2011, 02:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Sims

Just a quick question: At practice tonight, I thought "Hey, I'd really love to use my SG 60's tribute at the next show". One problem, poly-fucking-phonic feedback.. There was seriously no avoiding it, I couldn't get it to stop for shit. I'm assuming it's the Gibson P90's, I lowered the pickups as far as I could, still, shriieeekk! fuck! I never have this problem with the Agile P90's in my AL3000. Always a smooth, almost bassy feedback. Guess I'll just use that one, any suggestions for getting the SG to not give people aneurisms?

spookstrickland

Quote from: Mike_Sims on November 07, 2011, 02:24:49 AM
Just a quick question: At practice tonight, I thought "Hey, I'd really love to use my SG 60's tribute at the next show". One problem, poly-fucking-phonic feedback.. There was seriously no avoiding it, I couldn't get it to stop for shit. I'm assuming it's the Gibson P90's, I lowered the pickups as far as I could, still, shriieeekk! fuck! I never have this problem with the Agile P90's in my AL3000. Always a smooth, almost bassy feedback. Guess I'll just use that one, any suggestions for getting the SG to not give people aneurisms?

Either Pot the pickups or get a eq pedal and try and remove the offending Frequency.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Instant Dan

Or learn to control it like a semi-hollow or hollow-body.

Iron Mtn

I get the same thing with my Gibson P-90's. I solved the problem by lowering the level on my Big Muff and raising the volume on my amp.

blackkrosses

try backing off your tone knob a bit.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: blackkrosses on November 07, 2011, 12:14:39 PM
try backing off your tone knob a bit.

Yap, doesn't always work, but often does and costs zero time & effort
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

blackkrosses

I try and go with the simplest solution first.

"It ain't got no gas in it."

Mike_Sims

It's cool with the tone knob on 0, but then it's just.. i dunno whatever. Funny thing is I do play some songs with the tone knob all the way down, but there's some where I'd like to have it up. It's just irritating when I'm trying to play leads and all the notes just turn into a river of endless, squealing feedback. I'll figure it out.

BrianDamage

Did it always do this or is it a new development?
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

HeavyEar

yeah, could be a rogue tube ifin' it's a tube fired amp. Some of the Gibby P90' can be quite toasty so if your preamp tube(s) is shakey then it'll kick back.
"searching in the sun for another overload"

blackkrosses

Through that in the Bridge.
Then you'll have the p90 in the neck (which sounds gnarlier anyway) for rhythm.

Have a friend who had the same problem with his Les Paul. He did this and now he's happy.