Old song idea I would like to finish working out.

Started by BrianDamage, November 04, 2011, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianDamage

Something I demoed out and never really finished.  Critiques and ideas are welcome. If it sucks tell me what sucks and what I can change about it don't just say "it sucks" lol

Anyway it's called Devil You Know

http://gohrdoom.bandcamp.com/
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Corey Y

The section immediately after the first round of vocals is a little choppy. It gets a little bit better every time, so I'm guessing it's just refining the performance but the drums and guitar rhythm don't feel like they mesh quite right completely. The idea is cool, just needs tightening that up a bit. Also the instrumental bit between the 2nd and 3rd set of vocals feels a little long. Maybe cut a bit out, since you have a guitar solo break coming up not long after that. Solo sounds cool, I like the upbeat feel and the change back into the more swinging main riff. That through the end sounds good.

BrianDamage

Thanks for your input Corey. Yeah the drums are a bit funky. It's drumkit from hell and I really really suck at programming it. Hopefully once I get the song ironed out I will have an actual drummer to play on it. Sadly there aren't a lot of musicians around here that dig stoner doom so maybe not.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Hemisaurus

Devil You Know was a song by Jesus Jones in the 90's ;)

BrianDamage

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 04, 2011, 09:25:55 PM
Devil You Know was a song by Jesus Jones in the 90's ;)

Haha SUHWEET!!! It's been used by a few bands I believe.

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

jibberish

ok, i just listened like "hey something on the radio". it's pretty good.
structurally, the song works just fine for me. the main riff and that nasty tone are nice.  little jam at 3:15 or so makes the break in the song. you have a pretty cool way of ending the solo/bridge thing w/e.

it feels like its roots are sabbath worship, just a little heavier and nastier. so yeah.

production no real glaring things and no real judgement in a demo environment. I'm sure you will horse around with smoothing a few rough edges, over-volumes, etc., plenty more before you are finished.

justinhedrick

i like it. slow, plodding, and dark. good stuff. for a demo it sounds good. and 70s.

Cursed71

Is the guitar tone an fz2?  The main riff is rad.  Sorry I have nothing constructive to add.

liquidsmoke

I like it. Sounds kind of Bongzilla/Electric Wizard/Sabbath. I like how there is actual singing. I say finish it.

BrianDamage

Thanks for checking it out. It is definitely Sabbath/Wizard worship but most everything I write is. The guitar tone is my G400 into a swollen pickle plugged into my interface then I used an amp simulator (marshall jcm800 copy thingymajig) in Reaper.

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

cat shepard

I'll jam on it as is. I don't care if it's a demo. The only thing that could make the final stronger to me would be more intense but still clean type vox and an improv big rock ending.