Is an 18 Watt head loud enough to gig with?

Started by Baltar, November 03, 2011, 12:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baltar

I'm talking small clubs, against a drummer and bass player.  Also, is an 18 Watt Class A, as loud as a 50 Watt A/B?  I'm not in the market, but there's a guy down the street who builds them.  Just curious.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Baltar on November 03, 2011, 12:07:47 PM
I'm talking small clubs, against a drummer and bass player.  Also, is an 18 Watt Class A, as loud as a 50 Watt A/B?  I'm not in the market, but there's a guy down the street who builds them.  Just curious.

18W Class A? Make sure its actually in Class A. My money on it being in A/B with a hotter bias. Not to piss in anyone cornflakes but its not the easiest thing to make a PP amp Class A without the right design.

Its not as loud, but more importantly it will not have as much clean headroom all things being equal.

Baltar

I think that's it.  The one he has seems to break up early and wasn't very loud to me. Here's a vid of it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldamps#p/a/u/2/4vFOk90Y8To

Sorry couldn't get it to embed.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Baltar on November 03, 2011, 12:27:03 PM
I think that's it.  The one he has seems to break up early and wasn't very loud to me. Here's a vid of it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldamps#p/a/u/2/4vFOk90Y8To

Sorry couldn't get it to embed.

the Marshall 18W is a cathode biased Class AB amp. I will say that there is nothing wrong with being Class AB or Class A, they r just different beasts. I have a Single Ended El34 Class A amp and its got a nice tone while I have played plenty of AB amps 2.

Chovie D

I have an 18 watt head. marshall clone.
Is it loud enough to gig with? Yes I would say so as long as your bandmates arent playing at stupid volume levels, running full stacks etc.
You can run it thru a 2x12 or 4x12. I like the sound of mine dimed.

Ive seen a lot of people gig those 18 watt dr.z 's too, they sound great.

Baltar

Right on, it pays to do research.  I have a buddy in Detroit that had a pair that he ran into a 1960 cab and it was LOUD.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Baltar on November 03, 2011, 01:46:49 PM
Right on, it pays to do research.  I have a buddy in Detroit that had a pair that he ran into a 1960 cab and it was LOUD.

yea they can pretty loud. i have an 36W 4 x EL84 amp thats damn loud but doesnt have tons of clean headroom. Great for ripping on tho

Metal and Beer

Here's dudes' video. To embed, click the YouTube icon and just paste in this part: "4vFOk90Y8To" (no quotes) and omit the rest of the URL.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Chovie D

My buddy built an 18 wattish clone out of an old organ amp chassis and various parts, dont think he bought a single thing. It sounds great. He's really good at that shit tho.

I built my 18 watt as well, from a kit (mojo-do NOT get this kit, the diagram is wrong and they made some inexplicable changes to the original circuit). This amp (the bluesbreaker)originally powered a single low wattage 12 inch speaker  i think? My clone is so loud thru a 2x12 with high powered new speakers, that one thing ive really wanted to do is get a singel 12 cab with a low wattage vintage speaker in there in the hopes of getting lower volume and more breakup.