Main Menu

Soil Analysis

Started by bitter, October 26, 2011, 02:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I use my Droid X. It's got a concert setting for the videos, i've recorded all kinds of shit with it. check the channel...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Baltar

Canon Power Shot SD 1200 IS 10.0 Megapixels
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

johnny problem

I'm a bedroom player, so I don't get to jam louder than 1 1/2 - 2 in volume.  All my shit is stock.

-I'm using a Epiphone SG G400 (worn finish), it's 100% stock.  I currently have DR 11-49 strings and tune to E standard or D standard.  The pick ups are shitty but I'm managing.  I lowered the bridge pick up to get a woodier sound.  This allows me to get some more bite.  I use my volume and tone knobs to clean up the sound when using the dirty channel. Bridge volume is generally cranked, tone is at 4. Neck volume is around 5-6, tone cranked.

-Amp is a Laney VC30 1x12 combo with a Celestion 70/80 speaker.  I use the dirt channel from this amp, it's cranked.  Bass is set in between 7-8, Mids are 6 and Treble is at 5.

-I plug into phase 90 > Big Muff (New)> Boss BD2 > Carbon Copy or Line6 DL4 (depending on my mood).  The big muff is mostly used on the clean channel (knobs vary on songs, volume is generally around 3 O'Clock and Sustain is generally around 8 O'Clock, Tone is generally around 9 -10 O'clock).  BD2 is mostly used as a boost. Vol 1-2 O'clock, Tone off, Gain off.  Delay, generally long delay and short feedback.

-I use a Vox coiled guitar patch chord with gold jacks.  Hosa short patch chords for the pedals.  My pedals are all powered via wall wart.

-Depending on what I'm playing, I generally leave my pedals on and forget about them.

Baltar

That sounds like a killer little set-up.  I've always wanted a Laney.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Baltar on November 02, 2011, 06:44:34 PM

me too, but you never see them around here (illinois).

johnny problem

Quote from: Baltar on November 02, 2011, 06:44:34 PM

I really lucked out when I bought the amp.  It does whatever I throw at it.  The clean channel doesn't really like my BD2, but it takes everything else beautifully.  The reverb is amazing.  Depending on locations, it can get really surf like and basically nulls out the bright switch.  I'm really surprised no one here has picked up on these.  With an extension cab, this thing would surely move a lot of air.

aowron

Fiddle:
EPI G400 Custom shop, GFS Fat Pat pickups, all electronics replaced with something where the tone pots actually will make a difference.

Dirt:
Pharaoh on LO setting, silicon setting, fuzz somwhere around nine o' clock (don't have the rig here, and haven't had the Pharaoh for so long, still tweaking it) -> LO input on Laney GH50L w/ gain ~3, master ~7, bass ~7-8, mids 4-5~, presence ~1-2, treble ~0-1 (it gets kinda fizzy if I start increasing the mids) -> some german attentunator -> noname cab w/ V30:s

Weird thing is, even though it is a 50 watter, it will drown out all other instruments (when cranked) unless I run it through the attenuator. The setup really shines when pushing the speakers harder (i.e. not using the attentunator), but obviously not able to run it that way.

The philosophy behind the setup is to get some nice and saturated power amp distortion, and then let the Pharaoh lick it to get them fuzzy textures. Getting my (semi-)cleans by turning off the fuzz and rolling of the volume on the guitar.

Will post pics the next time I'm at the practice space.

By the way, do you guys prefer to run your geetars with a single pickup selected or using both? I prefer to use both myself, gives the fattyness without loosing the edge.