Main Menu

YOB

Started by MichaelZodiac, October 15, 2011, 09:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelZodiac

Fuck it if I should have posted in Gen Disc or whatever but tonight I saw YOB for the fourth time ever and those first 3 ones were in the same week at Roadburn and Belgium when they got stuck with the whole volcano thing. I thought then "I'm not gonna see this band anytime soon but shit, they are 1 of the best live bands I've ever seen". Saw them again tonight, it was righteous, it was loud, it had energy, it flowed like you would expect from a live YOB show, it was again 1 of the highlights of the year & they gave all the bands who were playing (A Storm of Light, Ghost Brigade, Intronaut, ...) a lesson in heaviness. They opened with Quantum Mystic, nuff said.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

clockwork green

It's interesting to me to see how they've progressed over the years and have just refined that YOB style of song. They're up their with best of them in terms of building tension and then letting it release like an avalanche of energy.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Metal and Beer

Such a great band...wish I could have seen them this tour but I'm lucky I got to see 'em twice (and Middian once)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

jibberish

ya, thats a neat way to describe their music, tension dynamics out the ass.  also, what they do isn't really quite like what anyone else does, which keeps it amazing and different. hopefully i'll get a chance to see them live, but ive enjoyed the hell out of their albums. i still would like to get the middian album some day.

clockwork green

It sucks that I missed YOB when they played 3-blocks from my house in August because I was on vacation...such a great live show. They really draw you in with the hypnotic riffs.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Pundan

Saw them last month in Gothenburg, awesome gig, was my second time. They're incredibly good live.

Now, since we're in this whole Jam Room thing and it's supposed to be about gear, has anyone played a Monson guitar?
I also asked Mike if he still used that old ROSS Distortion but he said he had switched to an OctaFuzz.

Instant Dan

When I saw him on this past U.S. tour, he was using a Subdecay F-bomb. I heard that the whirlwind phaser and compressor are the ones that never leave the board but everything else (wah, dist./fuzz, delay) is always changing.

Pundan

Quote from: Instant Dan on October 19, 2011, 01:51:55 AM
When I saw him on this past U.S. tour, he was using a Subdecay F-bomb. I heard that the whirlwind phaser and compressor are the ones that never leave the board but everything else (wah, dist./fuzz, delay) is always changing.
He still uses that old DOD DFX9 delay.