Main Menu

Who'd go see Weedeater...

Started by Hemisaurus, August 28, 2011, 11:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

if it was fronted by Jack Bruce?

Imagine the Dixie bass sound, but with the Cream vocals. This was part of a weird discussion I got into last night, and the other parties had consumed numerous beers by this point. All related to vocals and they're effect on the overall band.

Lumpy

And you say that you don't like General Discussion.

Without thinking about it too hard, it could work maybe. Jack Bruce isn't maybe the best example to pick, since he's a little dated (and so is his style). But look at Torche, they have some pretty smooth vocals. And they are maybe the most popular band in the genre.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bitter

Yeah I've wondered about a vocal swap in some of those really groovy sludge bands. Specifically, Eyehategod and Bongzilla. I don't always need the vocals to peel paint.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

liquidsmoke

Weedeater would sound odd without Dixie in my opinion and usually I'm not much of a fan of sludge vocalists even but I am a big Weedeater fan. Dixie is harsh but somehow easy on the ears. Jack Bruce in Goatsnake? That could work, not that they are a sludge band. Actually Bruce might sound good in Eyehategod but I'm not into Mike's vocals at all, they actually make it hard for me to really appreciate the band.

bitter

I just wish there was a little more range in EHG. Would get me in the mood more.

I absolutely agree with you on Dave's vocals though. Maybe its the mix? push them harsh growls back to darken/smooth shit out some.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

spookstrickland

See them? shit I would follow them around on their tour like some Greatful Dead Fan :)
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Lumpy on August 28, 2011, 11:44:09 PM
And you say that you don't like General Discussion.

Without thinking about it too hard, it could work maybe. Jack Bruce isn't maybe the best example to pick, since he's a little dated (and so is his style). But look at Torche, they have some pretty smooth vocals. And they are maybe the most popular band in the genre.
Never said I don't like it, I just don't have time to go there. It's band related, by the loosest definition a vocalist is a musician too.

It's the perfect example, because it's the example we used, you're being an 'ornery cuss, it's like me asking you to compare chalk and cheese, and you saying you'd rather compare chalk and biscuits.  :)

Though the comparison to Torche was interesting, I can't listen to them or EHG, but I love Bongzilla, Weedeater and Cream. liquidsmoke brought up the other point we were discussing though, there are too many bands where the vocals actually detract from your enjoyment of the music. I wish either vocal zappers were more effective, albums were released on multitrack so you could turn down instruments (like voice) that annoyed you, or that they would release instrumentals.

SpaceTrucker

Live their vocals really shine, its the recording and mix that makes it sound thin and kinda annoying. I think if Dixie would just try to clean up his vocals a little they would be even more awesome.

cat shepard

Bad vocals are the new good vocals. They are trying to bring back the good vocals, and that makes them bad for me. This is a deep conspiracy with more to be revealed in the coming times. Weedeater would lose a ton of energy without Dixie's vocal. I love the lack of melody and the persistent percusiveness of EHG. Neither band would do much for me with smooth vocals. Sure the riffs would still crush but there would be some sort of odd control factor that would kill it for me.

GodShifter

I love Jack Bruce's vocals so, yes, that sounds like a winner.

SpaceTrucker

The u men had clean vocals and you can't really call it a controlling factor. every Minor change in vocals can change the whole feel. But live the vocals are suprisingly better than on the recording, My first time seeing them I never really listened to them that much, and when I did(right after the show) I was suprised at how much worse they sound.

Go see them and then talk about the vocals.

Instant Dan

In Weedeater, that is hard because the vocals just fit. Maybe I am a traditionalist, but I can't hear it with that type of dirty sludge just as I couldn't hear it desert/stoner rock with some cool laidback vocals.

A good example is Elder's new album, could you imagine his voice on the first album fitting in with those super-groovy riffs on the second one?

cat shepard

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on August 30, 2011, 02:19:48 PM
The u men had clean vocals and you can't really call it a controlling factor. every Minor change in vocals can change the whole feel. But live the vocals are suprisingly better than on the recording, My first time seeing them I never really listened to them that much, and when I did(right after the show) I was suprised at how much worse they sound.

Go see them and then talk about the vocals.

seen em countless times