Protecting the sides of your cabs...

Started by LogicalFrank, March 18, 2011, 10:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LogicalFrank

My cabs are getting all fucked up from loading them in and out of the van. The problem is there are still seat mounts in the van that poke up from the bottom and they scratch the bejesus out of the tolex. Any ideas what I can do to protect them? The cab that is specifically a problem is a giant 2x15 Ampeg cab which we load on its side for space reasons.

I was thinking I might put some wooden rails to raise it above the level of the seat mounts so it can slide over them. My other idea was to cover the sides w/ sheet metal of some sort.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

grimniggzy

LogicalFrank

Yeah, that's what I was thinking only along the one side and they'd probably have to have better clearance. I actually might do some on the back while I'm at is since we frequently wind up grabbing the bar on top and pulling it up on stage. Is there anything I need to consider as far as attaching them? Just use countersunk wood screws?
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

grimniggzy

Quote from: LogicalFrank on March 18, 2011, 10:42:08 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking only along the one side and they'd probably have to have better clearance. I actually might do some on the back while I'm at is since we frequently wind up grabbing the bar on top and pulling it up on stage. Is there anything I need to consider as far as attaching them? Just use countersunk wood screws?

Sheet metal would certainly work. but drilling all the holes beforehand might be a little more work.

Hemisaurus

Just make sure you get them on nice and tight. You don't want anything on your cab that would start buzzing in sympathy with the vibrations. That would be the downside of using sheet metal, and if you've ever had a cab with a grille that buzzes, you'd know what I mean  ;)

I suppose you might want to consider using a layer of glue behind the wood rails to keep them solid against the cab, but I don't know about glueing onto the tolex ???

Baltar

I had thought of using skateboard rails but I'm not sure that they would protect all that well.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

VOLVO)))

Counter sunk wood screws and dots of Gorilla glue, on tolex. Contact cement will also work.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Danny G

I put pieces of plywood over the seat mounts, but I also have carpet in the back of the van so that sorta works.

Maybe remove the seat mounts.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Lumpy

"slide rails" is what the strips are called. Fliptops.net might have them, I think Mesa Boogie might sell them too? I made some home made ones out of Delrin (super hard slippery plastic) strips that I bought from McMasters (industrial supply) but IMO try to find pre-fabbed ones already made for speaker cabs... my home made ones have sharp edges :(
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

spookstrickland

A 4x8 chunk of carpet is your friend.  throw that in the back and it's smooth loading.  If your drummer forgets his carpet or the venue does not have one then you already have one it's a win win situation.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

LogicalFrank

I was actually just thinking that attaching a piece of carpet to the actual cab would work.

Lumpy

Quote from: LogicalFrank on March 18, 2011, 08:03:52 PM
I was actually just thinking that attaching a piece of carpet to the actual cab would work.

Don't do that.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

Fuck keeping your cabs nice. Wear those scars and ripped tolex like a mother fucking badge of honor!!!
I don't trust touring musicians with nice unscathed gear.

LogicalFrank

This cab is well beyond the point where it will ever look nice.

Jake

Yeah, but you if you play enough smokey bars or just get it damp with carpet on that thing, it will immediately smell like ass.
poop.

LogicalFrank

I have a carpet covered Avatar cab which I have taken to every gig I've played w/ Sun Splitter for three years--including the last show at the Mopery where the place was so sweltering that evaporated sweat was condensing on the water pipes and raining back down--and it smells more or less the same as the rest of my cabs.