Double Cabinet Wattage Safe?

Started by Ombrenuit, February 16, 2015, 06:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ombrenuit

I'm thinking about picking up a 50W Marshall for some doom metal, but I've only got a 100 watt cab (25 greenbacks). Is there any danger of blowing the speakers if the thing cranked and pushed with pedals?

Jake

I'm not super sure if there's a definitive YES/NO answer for that. My gut is telling me that it's probably ok, but there's so many things like what type of frequencies you're putting out at what volume levels, etc, etc.

I can tell you that I've been running a mix of 25 & 30 watt speakers pretty hard in a 4x12 for 15+ years without a problem so far. They're usually seeing about about half of the watts from a 100 watt amp, so within your range. But you and I might not have our master volume near the same.
poop.

Submarine

I'm running a JCM800 50 watter with 4 Greenbacks.  No problems at all.  I seem to recall that Micheal Schenker used to run two cabs off a 50 watt Marshall.

Volume

I run a 120w head to one 240w and one 100w cab without problem... yet, but like Jake said there many thing to take into account.

RacerX

I don't see any problems, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

How could a 50 watt head even come close to blowing up a cab rated at 100 watts?
Livin' The Life.

Ombrenuit

Yeah, the question is whether a 50W head could blow a 100W cab.

liquidsmoke

Should be good, watch the low end if you happen to be into that at high volume(because it's awesome)

?

RAGER

I would crank that bitch and never worry.
No Focus Pocus

Mr. Foxen

Watt ratings are so vague as to be meaningless for the purpose. Way to not blow speakers is listen to them because they sound like they will break if they are heading to breaking, you need to turn down then.