Main Menu

Ready to jam or what

Started by Dangling Fury, February 03, 2015, 10:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangling Fury

Hey y'all. I have played in bands most my life some cover most original (the only one I ever enjoyed.) the last ten years I've been playing with singer/songwriter types on acoustic guitar and although it did challenge me since I had never even owned an acoustic guitar previous to that, the last thing most of these guys want is input from anyone else on what might make their songs better, much less play something you wrote. So, I decided I wanted to try one last time to dip my toe into the music scene, only this time I want to get in on the ground level so I can be a part of the song writing process and I want really focus on heavy, slow riffing in the stoner vein. Been a fan of the genre ever since I saw Kyuss  in '92.  I have complete confidence in my playing ability and grasp of the sound, what I don't have a ton of confidence in is my equipment. I'm not a gear head, never really had the funds, got married, had kids etc.
    So I have a 120 watt tube head that a guy I know built for me. It's got an amazing clean, low end, tube sound. It does not have any effects on it at all, everything has to come before the amp. I have a marshall 1960 JCM cab. My git is a charvel telecaster with Seymour Duncan hot rails that really gives it a deep,warm, sound that's perfect for what I want to do. So I have one pedal ( for now) as I tried out many at various guitar shops and I went with electro harmonix metal muff. Had a nice deep metal tone with a decent amount of fuzz in there as well, it's also very versitile. And that's it. I'm supposed to jam with a drummer and basest sometime soon and what I would like to know is what are some of the most basic pedals etc. I really need. Honestly what I like about this music is you really don't need a ton of effects, but again I may be wrong.

The Shocker

Get a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh and don't look back.

Dangling Fury

Just googled that. Sounds amazing. Thanks

The Shocker

Builder happens to be a member of this site.  User name is Riffer, send him a PM and he may have some suggestions based on what your gear is and what type music you are planning to play.

VOLVO)))

And he's a cool cat. Welcome.

I've got my eye on you.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

It's actually ok to look back.  But yeah get a Pharoah.
No Focus Pocus

Dangling Fury

Guys thanks so much. Love this forum thus far

RacerX

Who let the dangling furry in?
Livin' The Life.

spookstrickland

If you are on a budget and it sounds like you are.  I'd pick up a Big Muff, then a used Phase 90 to give your sounds some depth and then a used Wah to give you some tone filtering and or lead licks some extra flavor.  With some careful shopping you should be able to pick all that up for around a hundred and some change.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Danny G

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

TannisRoot

Pedal advice:

• Check out pedal demos on YouTube (ProGuitarShop).
  • Trust your ears, never the price tag.
  • Great gear does one job well. Swiss army gear does many jobs poor.
  • Pedals are pretty bulletproof. Buying used is usually a safe bet and a great deal.
  • Not all gear will work with your setup. That's just life.
  • There is no end to gear acquisition. Just plateaus.

black

Quote from: spookstrickland on February 03, 2015, 03:48:23 PM
If you are on a budget and it sounds like you are.  I'd pick up a Big Muff, then a used Phase 90 to give your sounds some depth and then a used Wah to give you some tone filtering and or lead licks some extra flavor.  With some careful shopping you should be able to pick all that up for around a hundred and some change.

Took the words right out of my mouth fingers.
Although I prefer a Small Stone to a Phase 90.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Danny G

Def diff vibes with Phase 90 vs Small Stone.

The Phase 100 does sound more like a Small Stone and less like a Phase 90
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

black

Afreed on the the differend vibe waves.
For what I do I like the subtle, swooshy, watery effects I can coax out of the SS.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Dangling Fury

Got a used crybaby, love it but my sound goes down a bit when I activate it. That's actually ok as it can be played during a verse part but sucks if I play a lead part (fortunately that's not often.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Riffer

Dont get caught in the splitting of cunthairs chasing tones.
Considering that Kyuss inspired you to do this....
My opinion : Tuning, for whatever reason, distortion sounds huge on a low tuned guitar compared to a standard tuned guitar..Simple is better IF you have a good amp ( which it sounds like you do). IF you play with big volume. Go for "feel" over sound. The connection between your fingers and the speakers/ears should be as direct as possible. Dynamic, percussive, as uncompressed as possible. I use 100/120w non master amps also. Run the amp as loud as possible in the room (without effects). Then layer in your choice of dirt pedal. Just enough gain to make it nasty, but not so much it feeds back or is noisy when you're not playing.  A little dirt goes a along way with volume and in a band, dont work your wallet off getting a tone in your basement before you're in a group setting. I like low fuzz/ distortion, and high output volume on a pedal. Sounds fucking huge and dead silent when Im not playing. IF necessary, then add a boost of some type for leads. Simple, effective and relatively cheap.
For sonic reference of what I'm trying to express, check the second and third sections of this demo I just did for a new pedal.
You can email me anytime w specific questions or problems, I'll help as much as possible over the internet.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Dangling Fury

Thanks I really appreciate that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk