2010 Les Paul w/ P-90s, Yay or Nay ?

Started by MikeyT, March 22, 2011, 05:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

Please check out this ad:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/msg/2280217419.html

I'm kind of out of it (don't ask)....  Is this a good? great? Killer deal?

Or none of the above ?

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

VOLVO)))

Fuck new Gibson. Substandard EVERYTHING.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

It's a solid deal from the money standpoint at the least. I agree w/ Mr. Sunn that Gibson is not at a high point. Try before you buy but there are still good ones out there, esp. on something like this where the dude seems to have gone through and upgraded the electronics and set it up.

Also, for whatever reason upgrading electronics, pickups, &c. seems to lower resale value even on non-vintage guitars some reason.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

NoSleepTilSleep

Solid deal. You can't denigrate everything because of the vintage, there's going to be solid fiddles and absolute shyte in every year. Just check over everything when you play it (esp. the truss rod, because despite what I said above I've played more than one new LP with a truss rod that audibly fucking rattled when you pluck the low E).

Remember Gibson has been a giant asshole of a company far longer than they were every a good one at this point.

eyeprod

There was one just like that on my local cl a week or so ago. Same price too, if I'm not mistaken. I thought it was a good deal, and a cool guitar.

I'm with Frank...it's weird, but seems like resale value is lowered when you put in new pickups, though if the originals are included in a deal then it's evidently better all around.
CV - Slender Fungus

Mike_Sims

I saw a Les Paul Studio 50's tribute for less than this a while back. Really nice finish too

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

MikeyT

Thanks guys.

I think the pups are original, looks like it has upgraded pots, capacitors, etc.

LogicalFrank

For the record, I wouldn't let upgraded/changed electronics or hardware stop me from buying a nice guitar. I was really just making an observation.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

grimniggzy

Seems like a decent enough deal to me.
Although I'd probably either cut cost and go with the Eastwood or go full out and drop it on this...

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/images/media/ron_asheton_gp_review.pdf?folio=126

blackkrosses

He's asking too much.
The latest run of Gibsons aren't as terrible as people make them out to be. Just reeeally over-priced.
I would take a new 60's tribute SG. Only 100 bucks more..
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Special-60s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar?sku=H71136

MikeyT

Man, I don't know. I don't feel like spending the money. Just talked to the guy. He's got a couple of guys in front of me, but I'm afraid if he still has it & I go over there I won't be able to resist the temptation to buy.
I get a little crazy about guitars. If I had that Special in my apartment for a couple of hours, I could figure out whether she would make a good wife or not ; )

I like V's too. My buddy had a couple of 60's Gibson V's with sweet necks, but he wanted a fortune for 'em.  He's dead now. No telling where those guitars ended up. I bought a bunch of V's in the 90's, but they all had wide fretboards. Finally realized there aren't any newer V's with small necks(duh) & gave up on them.

I want a good quality Gibson or Gibson-style solidbody I can play Sabbathy and Creamesque stuff on.  60's slim taper neck or whatever is smallest. Needs a stop tailpiece and adjustable bridge. Has to be a 24 3/4 scale or smaller.
An SG is probably the way to go.

blackkrosses

You can find faded special SG's for under $500 now...

MikeyT

Yeah, I think I'll take my time. Can't afford to make any more mistakes.

Saw an SG Classic with P90s on CL selling for 650 obo. He didn't return my call, so it's probably gone.
I saw the ad  a week or two too late- that's what you get for not paying attention.

mawso

man i'm not a fan of newer gibsons.  but you gotta play it.  if it feels good, and it sounds good - it is good.

blackkrosses

Quote from: MikeyT on March 23, 2011, 10:43:02 PM
Yeah, I think I'll take my time. Can't afford to make any more mistakes.

Saw an SG Classic with P90s on CL selling for 650 obo. He didn't return my call, so it's probably gone.
I saw the ad  a week or two too late- that's what you get for not paying attention.

That's a great deal and an AWESOME guitar. Guh...I want an SG with p90's BAD.

MikeyT

inductorguitars

Love P90's but not a fan of gibson.  ::)

MikeyT

inductorguitars

Quote from: MikeyT on March 25, 2011, 10:47:12 AM
What would you prefer ?

My own.  ;D You sort walked into that one.

To be honest I'd like to get my hands on a Nighthawk or a Blueshawk, just to get feel for it. I also want to build one. I picked up an Ibanez Les Paul that played waay better then the gibson. I think the fit and finish was better too.