Do you guys like country music?

Started by zachoff, March 25, 2011, 02:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachoff

Just a curiosity... I hated country forever but I find myself getting more and more into it as I get older and lamer.  Lucero is my current awesome band after Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, and Wilco have passed me by.  Growing up my dad would listen to Flying Burrito Bros albums or straight Gram Parsons and I'd hate it.. Absolutely hate it.  Now I love it.  Gram Parsons, Emmylou, Van Zandt, Willie...  I grew up listening to and hating that music but love it now.  Just think it's weird.

hayseed

Fortunately the artists you named are very good and earn respect as amazing songwriters, though they classify more(at least to me) as Americana. I have to say if you like that stuff buy the newest John Mellencamp album(No Better Than This) and anything by William Elliot Whitmore.

There is a line one can cross with Country music. The overwhelming majority of top 40 Country is some of the WORST music i have ever heard! I don't want to sound elitist and say that "the old stuff is so much better, Hank, Johnny, Waylon, and Willie". I hate when people say that. I love Johnny Cash and have loved his music since i was a kid. I could care less about Willie Nelson though he is a great guitar player. The top 40 "save a horse, ride a cowboy" shit can go away ASAP. It is such a puppy farm kind of formula that top 40 country follows that i am surprised that it hasn't burned itself out yet. Truthfully most of the PRE- 1980's stuff is way better though.

I find myself getting into doo wop and motown more and more each year. The "oldies" were a huge source of music being heard my house as a kid. Luckily for me the same guy that took me to see the Four Tops and the Temptations in the 80's was the same guy that bought me my first Ozzy tape(Diary of a Madman), my old man.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

clockwork green

Zachoff all good stuff you mentioned. There is great country out there without having to go near any of the new stuff. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Waylon Jennings Dreaming My Little Dreams as well as some George Jones. Plus you'll never hear better shred than the Speedy West, Jimmy Bryant collaborations. I don't see anything wrong with calling a lot of what you mentioned country.

We all have different tastes and it's all a personal thing but I simply cannot stand William Elliot Whitmore. His overly wrought and affected voice is up there with John Mayer for most fake sounding singing voice of all time. Lyrically I don't any powerful honesty or interesting insights like I do from a Dylan, Townes or John Prine.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

liquidsmoke

I'm getting into '70s Waylon Jennings. Check out the 'Lost Outlaw' performance on youtube, amazing stuff. I want the DVD.
I'm also getting into bluegrass somewhat. There is a local band I saw here last weekend by the name of SweetGrass who blew me away, it helped that I was buzzed and stoned. There is nothing like seeing bluegrass live while stoned. An organic wall of sound that will have your mind blasting around in space at a million times the speed of light.
I think The Grateful Dead prepped my mind for older country and bluegrass.
Pop country from the last 20-25 years sucks, my dad loves that shit.

eyeprod

yes I do like country, but only americana type folky stuff that you can sing along with.
CV - Slender Fungus

Jake

+1

I'll embrace any music that is genuine, played from the heart, and is presented with passion and enthusiasm.
poop.

TheWolf IsLoose

I refer to what you call 'top 40 Country' as 'Redneck Pop'...I've decided it can't be confused with the name 'country' which describes the good music you've all listed above.

Heh, the O' Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack officially introduced me to bluegrass.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." -Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82)

Discö Rice

roots country, bluegrass, rockabilly, texas swing, psychobilly - yes.
pop country - fuck no.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

Yeah I like Buck Owens, Waylon, Willie, Merle haggard, George Jones, Moe Bandy, Loretta, Tammy, Conway, Earnest Tubb, Hank I and 2, Johnny Paycheck, Doug Sahm, Ronnie Milsap, Charlie Pride and shitloads of others.

I also dig the Byrds, the Flying Burrito Bros, NRPS, Manassass, Desert Rose band, Dwight Yoakam, Gram Parsons, Emmy Lou.

I sometimes sit in with country bands on pedal steel and telecaster.
Learning some country tele has improved my overall guitar playing immmensly. I recommend learning a bit, you dont have to go terribly deep, just pick up a couple faux steel licks, a few bends, and the double stops and youve got a ton to work with even in rock and hard music contexts.

Twang on

eddiefive10

my last band use to play a really fucking heavy version of "Crooked Man" by Those Poor Bastards

inductorguitars

I like both kinds of music ....

Country and Western.  ;)

Chovie D

Quote from: inductorguitars on March 25, 2011, 04:46:33 PM
I like both kinds of music ....

Country and Western.  ;)

Bobs country bunker.

Funny thing is "Western" actaully IS different than country. Western or "Western Swing" as the name implies has a swing element left over from the forties and fifties, usually features steel and less telecaster twang, alot of fancy jazzy chords too 9ths 6ths etc.
Bands like The Texas Troubadors, Earnest Tubb, Bob Wills. There are Western Swing clubs and societies dedicated to preserving this music. They have dances and stuff.

So in a sense, those ARE both kinds of music.

Theres also Nashville Country vs Bakersfield or west coast country.
The Bakersfield shit is the bomb. MOre twangy and rebelious. LOUD in your face paint peelin telecasters.
BUck and Merle as opposed to Ray Price and POrter Wagoner

peyotepeddler

good music is good music, period.

i really dig hank III, he lays down some good stuff imho, i can relate to the man, we are close in age, has that rebel attitude, digs the "heavy"

and of course i spin some classics here and there, i'm in the deep south, was weened on much of it, respect(but i'm no potbelly ha ha)

MikeyT

Country music ?

Love it when it's good, hate it when it's bad, just like every other genre. I generally like the 50's, 60's, & 70's periods the best. I'm pretty big on Country Rock.

I really like Old Time, Bluegrass, Appalachian, Mountain Music, what have you. And not too far from that: Irish, Scots & English Traditional musics.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'