Main Menu

wah pedal and reverb

Started by yesca, December 16, 2013, 02:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesca

Looking for a wah pedal thats good with the whole stoner doom fuzz/distortion and that also works well with psychedelic rock with some reverb/delay whether its a little or a lot. Will be running with a LANEY AOR 100. any ideas would be great thanks!

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

spookstrickland

Quote from: yesca on December 16, 2013, 02:27:12 PM
Looking for a wah pedal thats good with the whole stoner doom fuzz/distortion and that also works well with psychedelic rock with some reverb/delay whether its a little or a lot. Will be running with a LANEY AOR 100. any ideas would be great thanks!

Your basic Crybaby will do the job, just put a Joe Gagan pot in it will give you the longer Icar taper and that makes for ease of finding sweet spots.

Here is my set up:  Echo > Rotovibe > Tubescreamer > Joe Gagen equiped Dunlop Crybaby into Stereo Flanger feeding Champion 600 and Peavey MKIII Bass head and Sun Cabs.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

AgentofOblivion

In case you don't already know, the placement of the wah in the signal path (i.e. before or after the fuzz/distortion) makes a huge impact on the resulting sound.  Distortion in front of a wah makes the sweep really intense and wide and amp distortion or a pedal after the wah in the signal chain makes it much weaker. 

I've also noticed that the amount of gain I use affects how much I like a particular wah.  For instance in my more recent lower-gain settings I use a Budda Bud-Wah.  When I use heavier distortion and play metal or something that wah just doesn't cut it and I use the Jimi Hendrix Crybaby, which has a sweep that's much wider and goes into a lower register than the Budda.  That said, if I put the fuzz in front of the Budda isn't a really gnarly, extreme sound.  I've been using a signal path that looks something like guitar -> fuzz -> wah -> overdrive -> relatively clean amp.  That way I have a lot of options:  extreme wah, more subtle wah, clean amp, overdriven amp, fuzzy amp.

The Riffer

I've been through the mill with lots a wahs. this has been the one that was standing when the dust settled.
Wilson Freaker Wah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uneGh0c5j1s
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

bbottom

Quote from: The Riffer on December 18, 2013, 11:31:19 AM
I've been through the mill with lots a wahs. this has been the one that was standing when the dust settled.
Wilson Freaker Wah

I was going to get the bass version of that (and still may)

I play a Morley dual bass wah. But the size of the thing is kind of annoying.

I've been looking at this thing lately in order to save some board space.

It's about the size of a Boss pedal and from what I hear they sound decent.

AgentofOblivion

Quote from: The Riffer on December 18, 2013, 11:31:19 AM
Wilson Freaker Wah

Wow, those sound incredible.  Thanks a lot asshole, now I have to spend more money on gear...