Only God Forgives

Started by JkFlesh, July 19, 2013, 03:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JkFlesh

The new film from Drive/ Valhalla Rising/ Pusher director Nicolas Winding Refn.  I loved it, although I can see why it's getting so much bad press.  If you come expecting Drive, you will be seriously annoyed.  If you loved Refn's Valhalla Rising, Only God Forgives may be up your alley.  It's got that some slow-motion, hyper-masculine, hyper-stylized vibe, only this time with even more immaculate cinematography and incredible sound design and Ryan Gosling as a fairly pathetic, emasculated anti-hero.

Spartan revenge plot involves the grisly death of Gosling's drug-dealing rapist brother in Bangkok and the violent events that follow involving a brutal Thai cop, Gosling and his impossibly nasty mother who comes to Thailand ready for some payback.

Music is by Cliff Martinez, that dude is on a roll after doing an amazing job with Spring Breakers earlier this year.

It's not playing in a lot of theaters but is available on demand.

Trailer:

deleted account

Scott-Thomas is lookin' kinda milfy!

retardgroove

My thoughts (if you fuckin' care), visually stunning and slow.

MichaelZodiac

Visually nice, slow, violent at times. Lynch-ian sequences. Overall themes that come back throughout the movie. I still don't know how to regard this movie actually.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

gritty_fingers

I have mixed feelings. This could be really, really good or uttlerly pretentious.

"Ginger People"

JkFlesh

Quote from: gritty_fingers on July 30, 2013, 06:15:18 PM
I have mixed feelings. This could be really, really good or uttlerly pretentious.

It's both really, done with tons of style.

OUTLANDAH

Watched it pretty drunk last week. I'm usually good about critically analyzing a arthouse film, but I'm really at a loss on what it was about. I need to give a second view.

The Bandit

MichaelZodiac

Some but not a whole lot. The action/gore sequences are pretty fucking gnarly.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

JkFlesh

Streaming on Netflix, bitches!

CanookieWookie

Quote from: retardgroove on July 21, 2013, 02:46:58 AM
My thoughts (if you fuckin' care), visually stunning and slow.

Well said.  I watched it awhile back, and I left knowing I have to watch it again -- it left me wanting more from it

frobbert

It's style over substance but I guess that's kind of the point..
bite me