Main Menu

Re-cabing an amp

Started by clockwork green, February 22, 2011, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

I had a reissue Fender Champ 600 since they came out.  I was pretty disappointed with the original sound...super quiet, clean and just anemic.  Awhile back Mercury Magnetics came out with a modification kit for it and it made a huge impact on the amp.  More gain, more dynamic, more aggressive, louder, deeper just better all around.  The Mercury speaker was also a nice upgrade but still just a 6" speaker...cool though if you want boxy, small amp tones.  A few months ago I had the idea of finding a 12" tweed cab to rehouse the amp.  It was actually harder than I would have thought to find someone willing to do it but I found Mather cabs.  I couldn't be happier with the cab...beautifully lacquered tweed, really well done pine cab.  For a speaker I decided to go with the Weber 12A125 AlNiCo speaker since the Mercury mod gave my Champ a tweed Deluxe tone I figured getting the appropriate speaker would help.  It's amazing how much louder the amp now is in the new cab and how much low end a single 6V6 can put out.  The tone would make Billy Gibbons happy.

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

peyotepeddler

nice man, i would love to have a no bullshit one knob combo, i've dug most fender combos i have played

my fav however was a reissue vibroking, 3x10's, sweet sounding amp for sure