Main Menu

SxSw

Started by ROWDYBEER, February 28, 2011, 12:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROWDYBEER

Who's played it? Did you apply with sonicbibs or just book a show? How did you book show/s?

Hemisaurus

Some record store owner. I'll see if I can dig up a name, though it might be a bit late by now, I seem to recall it Nov,Dec or Jan.

ROWDYBEER

We are working towards 2012. Any help would be appreciated.

Metal and Beer

We played in '09, it was an awesome experience. We got in by help from other bands we've played with in the past. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'd imagine it's easier to get in via friends/bands than by "conventional" means (which must be next-to-impossible these days).
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Discö Rice

I've never seen the demo thing work. You gotta know people. SO GET OUT THERE AND KNOW SOME PEOPLE!!!
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Danny G

SXSW is used as a blanket term for the few days it takes place on.

There are official showcases (all put together by record labels and people who know people) as well as lots of non-sanctioned free shows and festivals. Which can be a lot of fun but also a huge waste of time. Many bands fall into the trap of driving all the way down here to play for free to nobody just so they can say they "played (during) SXSW".  The locals are usually fighting over the table scraps year after year. And as for coming down here and getting exposed and signed? That is a fucking myth.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Worthless Willie

Quote from: Danny G on March 06, 2011, 05:28:33 PM
SXSW is used as a blanket term for the few days it takes place on.

There are official showcases (all put together by record labels and people who know people) as well as lots of non-sanctioned free shows and festivals. Which can be a lot of fun but also a huge waste of time. Many bands fall into the trap of driving all the way down here to play for free to nobody just so they can say they "played (during) SXSW".  The locals are usually fighting over the table scraps year after year. And as for coming down here and getting exposed and signed? That is a fucking myth.

This.  And I could go on.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

ROWDYBEER

Wow. I had no idea about all this bullshittery.

Danny G

It also has a negative side. Heh!

On the good side, it's great to see a bunch of people I don't get to see very often all in my town at the same time, so that's always cool. But I've kind of given up on playing-as-many-shows-in-as-many-days-with-as-many-bands-as-i-can-because-i-can, that was fun for awhile but I'm gettin too old for that shit.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Chovie D

I imagine its like CMJ was in NYC, a joke/pain in the ass for the locals and a big coke party for the industry people(are there still industry peopel now that there is no record industry anymore?). you get the gig because you know someone not because you applied. PLayed cmj a half dozen times. i think the only time I didnt was the first couple years when I sent in an application. what was good about it was you'd get the occasional great showcase of one labels bands. Small stone, amrep, subpoop whatever....

Was in a Seattle band a couple years ago. They got really popular really quickly and once they acquired a manager, they were instantly slated to play sxsw thru the managers connects. This was after maybe three shows total. Never seen aband rise so fast, let alone be in one like that.
Singer decided he was gonna go solo and broke up the band before it ever happened. Saw him the other night, she still has no band, is super depressed and works as a barista part time.