Thinking about doing a two piece band (bass drums)

Started by bbottom, September 10, 2012, 11:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Quote from: fallen on September 12, 2012, 01:07:14 AM
Maybe you can bring the high strings in a bit, what does Matt Pike call it, let them whang out or ring out?

Like if you tuned to an open tuning A, E, A, E or just open on the highest string like B, E, A, E or a drop A string like B, E, B, F# so you keep a normal bottom two but fret the 2nd or 7th on the A string you get a big B fifth chord.

Depending on the songs you could treat the top couple of strings like a drone that you can add into key notes.

that's an interesting idea. I'm going to give it a try, thanks man

fallen

No problem. It's a trick I've used on guitar on one or two songs but I don't end up using it that often because it ends up being a lot of tunings to remember and more importantly screws things up for solos. ;) It's a great recording trick to spice up guitar rhythm tracks.

mortlock

heres a band that is pretty obsure doing the bass/drum thing..friends of mine..heavy duty shit..

First we've heard from this oddly monikered duo, just bass and drums, who traffic in a sort of sludge/doom dirgery, the bass super distorted and blown out, sounding in places more like a guitar than a bass, but unfurling thick slabs of buzzing low end, while the drums deliver a plodding caveman accompaniment. The vocals might be the strangest of all, a sort of sung/spoken demonic growl, which give Tuurd a much more abstract experimental vibe. It really does sound like a Neanderthal version of OM. The groove is dark and stonery, thick and sludgey, but when it slows down, and gets a little mathy and dynamic, stripped down while the vocals gurgle malevolently, it's transformed into something else entirely. Which is also what happens on the second track, at least in the first half, the band ditching the sludge for some dense mathy noise prog, the bass and drums in a wild tussle, which finally gives way to a more slithery downtuned groove.

It's hard to really nail these guys down, the label mentions all sorts of other duos, from Lightning Bolt to the Ruins, as well as other bands that occupy a similar sonic space, Sleep, Abruptum, Killdozer, Slug (someone needs to reissue all the Slug records!), Black Sabbath and a bunch of others. But to our ears, Tuurd sound like slowed down power violence, like Man Is The Bastard covered by Corrupted, or some rare Slap A Ham 7" spinning at 5 or 6 rpm, but that's only one side of the Tuurd, the band totally capable of whipping out some seriously dense downtuned progginess, the combination of the two is what makes this stuff so good. Murky and muddy, dirgey and doomy, crusty and filthy, heavy as fuck obviously, proggy and mathy and not without a sense of humor (check out "Eating Ice Cream With Satan"). Definitely recommended for fans of any and all of the above mentioned bands, and anyone who like their music sloooooow and loooooow.

Super striking cover art, the album titled drawn in dirt on the front, the band name smeared in mud (please let it be mud!) on the back. Pressed on brown vinyl (of course) and includes a digital download. - Andee

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: mortlock on September 13, 2012, 01:30:10 AM
heres a band that is pretty obsure doing the bass/drum thing..friends of mine..heavy duty shit..

Weird, been lstening to this and could swear some of our riffs are exactly the same, but maybe this is just the effect of bass/drum duos, and yet, I've never sounded like Om.

MichaelZodiac

Reviving this thread just because..

Anyway, I've been thinking about the same thing. And maybe this is a crackpot idea but I was thinking of this setup:

Guitar amp & guitar speakers <<< whammy or something that does octave up <<effects<<ABY>>effects>>bass amp & bass speakers.

I'd run main fuzz & overdrive before ABY.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan