greta fender amp round 2

Started by jibberish, December 24, 2012, 02:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

ok, after that clusterfuck thread, I have had time to meditate while I couldn't play and decided to calmly do this the right way.

for starters, I am going to NOT care about the circuit. I am just going to get a really good handle on how the amp performs first. hopefully then when I do look, things will lock in wrt what I hear and what is the layout.

also, someone did mention something in the first thread that seems like it is key.   they said maybe the tone involves gain. well maybe the tone does involve gain, or attenuation, same result I guess.

I went back to the deal where I had everthing turned down, even guitar volume and it sounded nasty still. that tone is nasty all the way down at any volume heh. it gets clear, yes brighter of course, AND louder when turned up. so the tone is really a complicated adjustment.
The volume does indeed only get louder and quieter.  and that's why I say, screw what's inside or i'll go nuts guessing because now it sound slike the gain is the input gain and the tone is affecting some set master gain..which is dead opposite of what I thought before

BOTTOM LINE: me=clueless, and i'm not going to worry about it

this also makes the guitar tone the true tone. then there is that complex relationship between the guitar volume, the amp volume and playing dynamics.
I had no idea there was so much possibility for subtle variation in the whole "sound"

my solid state amp has much less variations over a much bigger volume range.

mutantcolors

Quote from: jibberish on December 24, 2012, 02:37:34 AM

my solid state amp has much less variations over a much bigger volume range.

Likely because it's not a 1 watt amp or whatever.

jibberish

just a greta update. I do believe the amp is smoothing out, for lack of a better phrase, now that I have been putting some hours onto it.

it does have the ability to take expression from the guitar playing. I never had that much change in sound over playing gain range before. it is really nice.
different songs are starting to get their setting positions on the amp. some super clean(amp vol low-ish, tone all the way up<-very key to clean sound, guitar volume kind of low)

then if some are to have a little bark or "yeah!" in the chords, I can turn something up and get a variety of breakups or burbles or wtf you call that heh. and full on pure garbage is cool too, but full on.  amp maxxed, tone all the way down and guitar low is kind of garbage, so guitar all the way up too, like you have a free compressor or something idk...

there is one sound that it cannot get, and it is totally understandable. ratt's round and round came on and reminded me of the sound they have, is like the sound of the blues deVille at the Phoenix holding its own on stage agains a nice carvin house setup, or alex and Damien when they really play their stacks loud.  the speakers sort of scream brassy and bright. it is a nice sound, but probably an 18 watt amp abusing the hell out of some single 12" speaker is what is needed minimum