Main Menu

Best way to mic a cab?

Started by Andrew Blakk, November 28, 2012, 10:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Blakk

Well we''ve started to do some recordings in our rehearsal space and even if I have a little experince I'm still quit a noob.

So it would be interesting to hear your opinions and all earthly expertice.  ;D

For my part I'm using a Sm 57 a bit angled away from the left side of the center cone (4x12 V30... It's acctually a Carvin Leagcy  :-[ Sounds good though.).Not to bright, not to bassy. Perhaps 2-4 cm from the grill. It gives the guitar tone a nice thump.

So let's hear...

Mics, angles, cabs. All the nerdy details please...

Barnhard

Do yourself a favor and record a DI whilst recording the cab. That's how I record bass. I split the signal so that my clean tone is going into the board via a DI. Then have my fuzz tone on my amp, record that using a mic. Then mix it in Reason or ProTools.

b00gie van

Sounds like you're off to a good start. More important than any "tricks" someone may offer you is that you use your ears. Listen back and if you don't like the sound, move the mic.

The center of the speaker is the brightest, moving towards the edge it will get darker. Angling the mic so it's not straight on the speaker will soften the tone. Moving it closer to the speaker will emphasize the low end.

blackkrosses

I usually use minimum 2 mics per cab, one "dark" one "bright" pointed directly at the center of the speaker approx 2-4 inches from the grill.

Chovie D

I'm just a hobbyist doing home recording....

...but ive had success with a ribbon mic about 6 inches away, combined with a 57 up close.

Chovie D

Ive seen butch vig mic a cab.  :D
he just stuck a 57 in front of it like most of us do, this was back in the old days.

Heres pedal steel at a pro studio(bear creek). RCA ribbon, reissue twin.

heytrid

I have a Heil PR30 that I love the sound of.

themusketking

Quote from: heytrid on November 28, 2012, 09:42:53 PM
I have a Heil PR30 that I love the sound of.

Heil makes some good stuff. The Rode NT1A mics are a really versatile mic for anyone on a budget.  Sound great on cabs and vocals.  Multiple mics are always a good idea.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

Andrew Blakk

Hey thanks... Now some experimenting then.  ;D

chille01

I like a 57 and a 421 up close, and a good condenser or a ribbon mic 3 or 4 feet away to get some room sound.  You have to be careful about phasing issues when mixing multiple mics, but nothing that can't be overcome with a little patience and application of the 3 to 1 rule.  If you use an open back cab, I've heard a condenser behind the cab can be nice too.  Never had much luck with that one myself.