New era in pedal control

Started by Submarine, January 19, 2015, 04:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

well way to show me that you're a fucking moron. nevermind then.
get busy installing your amazing new pedal shit and have fun.

eyeprod

really, though. why get all bitchy about what other people think?

Truth is, this new toy would indeed be a pain in the ass to adapt to peoples existing pedal boards. Pedal boards which people are deeply in love with. New ways to make said pedal boards work is cool, but there are other ways (cheaper, simpler) ways to do the same thing, other than the recalling presets function of this device.

really, it's just not that cool of a gadget. Pain in the ass and possibly expensive to add to existing pedals. There is no magic spot to plug this thing into and all pedals are built differently, so it would very likely be impossible in many cases and downright stupid in others. I'd rather turn the knob with my foot (they make knob covers just for that purpose) than open up a pedal, tap into the circuit somehow, then drill a hole to install a new jack. again, just so I could use an expression pedal to control it??? Lame. Just play your fucking instrument already.

If we can't talk about it honestly and accept each others (often well educated on this forum) opinions than what the fuck? No need to get all dickish with Jib just cause he's a geek about details and points out the obvious.
CV - Slender Fungus

Submarine

This is like the zeppelin thread in Gen Disc. - almost everyone loves LZ but for different reasons. 

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

Yeah. Go back there. People that play music are talking here.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

make sure you wash all that fast-food grease off yer mitts before you touch anything in here.

The Riffer

Its interesting for sure.
Another tool in the shed is never a bad idea.
That said, not for me.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

fallen

I kinda hate that "everything is fine as it is" attitude but I understand it. I have recently been building a small board and I have two echos on there because for clean I want more feedback and a louder mix level. On dirt and leads I want a shorter repeat but not always... Continuous controller already exists but only on digital/midi pedals. Not for fans of analog effects.

The blend of analog signal path and digital control is really interesting. Somebody is making an expression pedal that is digital that will send midi messages or analog voltages out to multiple pedals, including various wave patterns of oscillation, turn an Elements fuzz blend expression control into a sort of fuzz tremolo for example.

To me a cool next step would be to solve pedal switching. There are some cool programable bypass loopers around but two cables, 4 plugs, 4 jacks per pedal is a lot of possible points of failure. Plus the cable ends themselves cumulatively eat up board space and aren't cheap. Doesn't matter to some people but with all the nano pedals coming out pedal board space is obviously important to some people.

Would it be possible for pedal builders to switch to a TRS jack on the input that continues to work as normal for regular instrument cable but could send the output signal back down the same cable when used with a TRS cable and a loop switcher that also supports TRS?

Half as many cables to route would be great on medium and large boards, loop switchers could possibly made cheaper with half the amount of jacks. No idea if there would be feedback or bleed or hum if one cable shared the ground and input and output signal. For all I know there is no way it could work but interesting to think about.