Main Menu

Is this amp worth 500$?

Started by skydogdiesel, November 20, 2012, 06:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skydogdiesel

grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

VOLVO)))

500 is good. I'd pay 400, at a steal
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Some speakers used to have square magnets.  No biggie.

skydogdiesel

Chovie D

I dont like these amps. Ice pick tone. use a pedal and keep the volume low...jeesus , they are loud.
but worth $500? yeah  probably.
Nugent used these..another reason to hate  ;)

eddiefive10

Might sound crazy but for $500 wouldn't it make a great head conversion and something maybe nodded to tame the ice pick tone?

Mr. Foxen

180w is pretty wasted on two 70s 12" speakers, especially the low bidder shit fender would have used.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: eddiefive10 on November 20, 2012, 10:26:05 PM
Might sound crazy but for $500 wouldn't it make a great head conversion and something maybe nodded to tame the ice pick tone?

Paging RAGER

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

No it's not worth $500 IMO.  As a combo it sounds like ass.  The distortion is useless so don't use it.  Run just clean with the Active EQ (again which is mostly useless) straight up at 0.  Plug it into a 4x12 and now we're startin to get into the useful territory. Or go one more like I did and chop it up into a head, much better.  it takes 6 6l6's but hey be glad it doesn't take 12 like a mesa 400+ or kt88's.  You can dial in some pretty good tones with it though.  And you can get those chimey Fender jangles too.  I mostly use mine into my super rare Ampeg 69 Fridge for bass.  If it's runnin good with new caps it should be pushing a bit over 200 watts.  Offer him 350-400
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

They're good for something, as a combo. Just needs real speakers. This dist channel is easily modded to usefulness.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Put Hot 100's in mine.  Still sounded like ass. Got the circular out, chop chop
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Because those speakers sound like hot ass. Skra8 up

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

skydogdiesel

i play an american strat and dialed in some spot on SRV " Couldnt stand the weather" riffage.  I though it sounded awesome with my pedals too.  it can use some tweaking for sure- but  i like the tones on it way more than my 45 watt Sunn head.

liquidsmoke

A head version of this could be awesome for pedals. Super tight I'm thinking. I may see if I can find such a thing. To me that price is fantastic by the way.

RAGER

Here's mine before

Here it is after the chop into a head atop my 8x10
No Focus Pocus