Main Menu

peso pick

Started by bass sic, September 18, 2012, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

I made a pick today out of a peso. I read that Gibbons sometimes used a 1 or 20 peso, but all I had on hand was a 50. I dont really notice any tonal difference, but it does make all my shit sound like mariachi. The size/shape is what Im diggin. Its stubbier than a normal pick and this works out good for me. Seems like I can play faster without digging in. Also the heat from grinding on it warped it some, so its kinda cupped on one side. So it cups my thumb. I have to plan a Mexico trip now so I can bring back a shitload of project pesos.

RAGER

I'm always dubious of anything concerning the Reverend and his gear.  Lots of stories and things shrouded in mystery.
No Focus Pocus

bass sic

Yea I always assumed it was a myth that he just rolled with. But I think I'll stick with this for awhile, unless it trashes my strings.

rayinreverse

I dont even see him playing with a coin possible, considering he plays .008's or some shit,  but stranger things have happened.

justinhedrick

Quote from: rayinreverse on September 18, 2012, 04:05:12 PM
I dont even see him playing with a coin possible, considering he plays .008's or some shit,  but stranger things have happened.

i saw a premier guitar interview w/ his tech and he said that in all the years he has been working for him, billy has never used a peso.

Hemisaurus

• Let's see a pic ;D
  • What are you playin' bass or geetar?

bass sic

20 Iphone pics and this is the best I got. I use it for guitar. I really like it.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

Gotta remember phone cams have no flash, get plenty illumination on it. Loos nice tho' :)

fallen

I've wasted a lot of time on YouTube watching these things:

Super weird setup.

VOLVO)))

I play those black 2.0mm dunlop gator grips for the same effect. I might dig at a peso here soon, sounds rad.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 18, 2012, 09:46:56 PM
I play those black 2.0mm dunlop gator grips for the same effect. I might dig at a peso here soon, sounds rad.

Those are great.  I really like the blue 2mm as well, they give you a little less "click"
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

RacerX

The 2mm Dunlop stubbies are a good choice, too. I've never much liked metal picks of any sort.
Livin' The Life.

Pissy

I recall when I was first starting to play that George Lynch was rumored to play with a quarter.  The rumor didn't describe any whittling down of said quarter.  So I tried one, and was pleasantly surprised at the sound it gave.  Unique for sure, but not an everyday sound.  But I did like the way that it played.   As a result I started playing with the broad corner of a standard pick.  To this day I still do, something about the way it feels.
Vinyls.   deal.

moose23

Brian May is reputed to use coins as well. I've become a big fan of using steel picks these days on bass.

Instant Dan

When it comes to the Rev, unless he is talking about cooking or cars, I consider him a world-class bull-shitter when it comes to talking about gear used on recordings.

I wouldn't be suprised if he changed up his rig after the premierguitar video.

The guy's rumored to have a couple warehouses stocked to the ceiling with gear he has collected over the years.

RacerX

Here's the Rev playin' nekked.

Maybe that was just a shout-out to Jeff Beck?
Livin' The Life.

Mr. Foxen

Gotta love the way the jazz fits Tal.

bass sic

I don't like watching that chic play. It makes me ashamed to own a bass.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.