Main Menu

Bi Amping Live

Started by Ombrenuit, September 20, 2012, 11:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ombrenuit

Currently use 2 1x12 combo amps. One a tiny terror and another a home brew based off a 70s orange. The mix of distortion is great in practice. Bass player said if we gigged the sound guy would only mic one speaker. Anyone bi amp live? Is it really a pain to get the sound guy to mic both amps? Any tips? I use a stereo chorus pedal to get things trippy.

AgentofOblivion

I've never tried it, but I'm not sure why they would care since they presumably have the equipment to mic multiple guitar players.  Do you have another guitar player as well?  I would guess it depends on the soundman.

justinhedrick

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on September 20, 2012, 12:10:24 PM
I've never tried it, but I'm not sure why they would care since they presumably have the equipment to mic multiple guitar players.  Do you have another guitar player as well?  I would guess it depends on the soundman.

this. i used to do this all the time and when they would say "ugh dude man dude, i only have 1 mic for guitar cabs" I would say "yes, but you have 3 vocal mics, my band only needs one". problem = solved.

RacerX

Depending upon the size of the venue, I sometimes just mic one amp/cab. For bigger rooms, I prefer micing both.
Livin' The Life.

Pissy

If you're nice to the sound guy, introduce yourself and explain what you're doing, most guys will accommodate. The ones who like mixing can and often do appreciate multiple sounds to mess with during the course of the set.

The guys who don't care about how the band sounds or are old enough to be deaf, not much you can do about it I guess. 

Just try it and see how it goes. I'd wonder about him getting a useable signal from one 12, depending on how loud you have it turned up. That one speaker will need to be pretty loud in order to get stage volume, and likely will clip at the slightest crack of the trim.

I'm also curious about ground loop hum. You have a workaround for that at BP?
Vinyls.   deal.

Hemisaurus

I never had a problem sticking two mics on a guitar when I did sound, I worked regularly with a guitar player who had a stereo rig. If it is a problem for the sound dude, couple of things you could try.

• Put the cabs side by side, make him put the mic between them, backed off a few feet (this will increase stage noise, which is the bane of live sound(
  • Put the cabs in a Vee formation, mic the vee, that way the cabs act as gobos for the stage noise (this will cause interference at certain frequencies, but might sound cool)
  • Make a Vee cab, a la Sunn designs, run one amp per side of the Vee
  • Buy a couple of e609's (the mic's you can just sling over a cab) and maybe even mic cables, the only excuse the sound guy can have left is not enough channels

I'd try Vee-ing the amps at practice, see how they sound.

Ombrenuit

The 1x12s together sound loud enough dimed for a matt pike sludge. I've mic'd them for recordings no problem in a band setting. They'd need to be mic'd live though for sure. Ground loop hum? Certainy is hum when I'm not playing but it's not too bad...

No other guitarist. We're a power trio. Bass player still bitches I'm all up in his frequencies haha