Sunn Model T re-issue any good as a clean amp for pushing pedals?

Started by fallen, September 11, 2012, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallen

These come up for sale pretty cheap sometimes for a tube head. Similar price to a Laney AOR. They look good. Any good for using the clean channel when 99% of the gain is coming from fuzz pedals?

FullCustom

Jake

Honestly, no. They're not good at that.

But as a nice bonus, the Gain channel saves you the trouble of having to use OD/disto/fuzz pedals at all.
poop.

Baltar

Huh, I always assumed the Model T's had a lot of headroom like my '69 Sceptre.  That fucker loved any fuzz I threw at it.  Whatever Jake said though, he's got skillz.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

The reissues are like modded Fenders, nothing to do with the Gen 1 or Gen 2 Ts. Clean channel might be okay for pedals but its not know for being a pedal amp (the reissue)

Jake

You know, I should temper my answer and say that TO ME, my RI Model T has never sounded as good as many other amps I've had with pedals in front of them. There's a lot of factors that will make someone else's experience unique from mine – the guitar/cab/speakers/tubes/strings/cables...even things like the room can affect how it sounds. Not to mention which pedals you choose to use and their settings.

So, YMMV. Good luck on your quest.
poop.

fallen

I figured there was a reason they were so cheap. I have a modernish Fender amp around that I never use that looks similar on the back panel. Tons of jacks and loops and effect send level controls etc.

Jake

How cheap is so cheap? If it's a great deal, I 'm definitely interested.
poop.

FullCustom

My favorite Sunn amps are the ones that use the Dynaco MKIII power amp. Thursday I have a Beta lead to work on they're fun too.

fallen

I should pick up one of those when I can. Because of the no tubes thing they tend to go even cheaper around here.

That fake Model T was cheap for a 120 watt tube amp but wasn't super cheap. I could probably find a beta lead for half the price.

fallen

There's a concert lead with a broken overdrive circuit selling for $250 right now.

zachoff

The best pedal taking head I ever owned was a '80 Bassman 135.

xayk

Quote from: zachoff on September 12, 2012, 12:20:12 AM
The best pedal taking head I ever owned was a '80 Bassman 135.

Hot.

I love my ultralinear Twin with pedals. It's a great platform, clean and loud, and depending on locale, cheap - last one I picked up was $400.  And I still want a Super Twin to convert into a head, which should work well with pedals, too.

dunwichamps

any amp could be tuned to take pedal better, you can swap preamp tubes around to adjust gain so its not so sensitive.

Jake

For those of you who are interested, I read this article a little while ago an it's got some good insight to the Reissue and it's heritage with other Fender amps.

http://www.anchorstates.net/2009/11/sunn-model-t-reissue-schematics.html

For instance, when the new Sunn line was discontinued, Fender basically put the 90% guts of the Reissue T into the 2-channel late '90s Pro Tube Evil Twin. Hooda thunkit?
poop.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Jake on September 12, 2012, 11:46:47 AM
For those of you who are interested, I read this article a little while ago an it's got some good insight to the Reissue and it's heritage with other Fender amps.

http://www.anchorstates.net/2009/11/sunn-model-t-reissue-schematics.html

For instance, when the new Sunn line was discontinued, Fender basically put the 90% guts of the Reissue T into the 2-channel late '90s Pro Tube Evil Twin. Hooda thunkit?

never would have known because that amp is a smoldering pile of shit. The RI model T at least has being a head to it's advantage. I'd buy one.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

To tell you the truth, when I found that out, I spent a little bit of time trying to find out what I could about those Twins, and possibly snatch a deal. It turns out that they are actually pretty well regarded amps – although not exactly to Twin purists, who eventually got the '65 Reissue series made. Now we're not talking about the Red Knobs, but the "Pro Tube" version. Those were kind of the beginning of Fender going back and putting a little more life into their amp line. The Pro-Sonic was born shortly afterward (I would love to try one).

Fender amps get little love here, besides a couple of nods to deals that can be found on Silverfaces, but I'm all about them. If I were to tell you some of the stuff my Fender T survived, you might not even believe me.
poop.

xayk

Quote from: Jake on September 12, 2012, 04:24:10 PM
Fender amps get little love here, besides a couple of nods to deals that can be found on Silverfaces, but I'm all about them. If I were to tell you some of the stuff my Fender T survived, you might not even believe me.

Don't take my money-reference above as any sort of dig.  I currently own a BF and a SF Twin, am looking for a Super Twin, and have owned a Bassman or two in my past.  I love that they're reliable, loud, clean, and fairly easy to work on.  Not everyone's favorite doom amp, but as a pedal whore, I love the platform.

(And Larry LaLonde is playing through a Super Sonic 60 now, which makes me want one.)

FullCustom

Jake

poop.

FullCustom

Quote from: Jake on September 12, 2012, 06:49:03 PM
Isn't the Dual Showman basically a Twin in head form?
Yes, sans the reverb. Unless you have a Dual Showman Reverb. And a Vibrosonic is a Twin with a 15" speaker.

rayinreverse

I struggled with my RI T for awhile, but I have actually really come to like it.
It doesnt do that thing that an original T does, but Im pretty glad it doesnt. Its fairly clean. I mean dimed on 10 its definitely cleaner than a og T. Its not sparkling clean, but its not super gainy either.
I run a supercollider in front of it, and get a pretty  mean tone out of my 72 deluxe tele. back off guitar volume, and you can get really clean.