Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster® Bass Special

Started by grimniggzy, August 06, 2012, 07:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

I don't give a fuck what anyone says. Squier is better than Fender when you factor in the $$$ you save in minuscule BS.
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0325212507

grimniggzy

Lumpy

I'm interested in the Squier 50's P Bass, and the Squier Modified Vintage Telecaster (the one with the single mudbucker). I don't have experience with J bass pickups so I'd be curious about this new one.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

xayk

Digging those. I'm happy Fender is doing interesting things in the Squire CV/VM lines and the various Pawnshop lines. I saw a Pawnshop Jaguar bass at GC with a reverse headstock that made me want to sell everything I own and just play that.

MichaelZodiac

I loved the Modern Player Telecaster Bass but that's a Fender  ;)

I wonder how that combo with a J pickup in the bridge and humbucker in the neck works out.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Mr. Foxen

32" scale though, shame about that bit. Did quite like my Squier mudbucker tele bass, but I put a Dimarzio model 1 in it to get any definition, and still wasn't enough to me to do serious stuff with it. Got the neck from one on another bass though.

Jake

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on August 06, 2012, 08:18:26 PM
32" scale though

That seems like an easy fix with an aftermarket neck, no?

If that bass sounds anywhere near as sexy as it looks, it's a homerun. I agree w/ the Squier > Fender remark also. Some really killer stuff coming out of the Far East lately it seems.
poop.

Lumpy

I think Squier is in Mexico, but whatever. They are mixing it up, and that's good. Fender seems to be, too (maybe more for guitars, and not as much with bass though...)

grimniggzy

Nah, Squier is no longer in Mexico. Fender Standards are made there now.

Corey Y

It's not really my cup of tea, style wise, but Squier has certainly jumped way up in quality in the last few years. I'd rather have two individual volume knobs that a switch though, so you could blend the pickups to taste. I'm sure a tech could probably fix that easily with some rewiring and a stacked volume pot.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Jake on August 06, 2012, 08:25:02 PM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on August 06, 2012, 08:18:26 PM
32" scale though

That seems like an easy fix with an aftermarket neck, no?

If that bass sounds anywhere near as sexy as it looks, it's a homerun. I agree w/ the Squier > Fender remark also. Some really killer stuff coming out of the Far East lately it seems.

Anything I need to get a new neck for off the shelf is a fail. Depends on the bridge placement though, by eye the neck looks quite far into the body which might mean moving the bridge, which is doable because not through strung, but that misplaces the pickups relatively. I'd wire it with dual outputs.

Lumpy

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on August 06, 2012, 10:07:32 PM
Anything I need to get a new neck for off the shelf is a fail.

I agree. Why bother with a budget bass that needs expensive upgrades?

Jake

Wait. Why would this bass need a new neck?

I don't agree at all that expensive upgrades are needed. I was only saying that if one wanted a neck in a different scale length than it's sold with, Fenders/Squiers are notoriously easy to find and swap parts for.
poop.

Lumpy

I dunno, I think I'm even confusing myself, now.

I think there are other Squires that are long scale, if you want long scale. The 50s PBass (blue one). Tele (mudbucker) is probably long scale.

crunkhero

If you were to put a 34" neck on it you'd have to move the bridge back in order to get proper intonation.  The reason that they made this 32" is to help with the neck dive.  The closer the upper horn is to the 12th fret, the better the balance. Since this is a tele guitar shape the neck would drop to the floor.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

Worthless Willie

What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

hisheroisjon

I dig the doublecut tb squier with just the neck bucker, I bet if you sent the pickup to Curtis Novak for a rewind that bass would sound fucking fantastic.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Corey Y on August 06, 2012, 09:19:22 PM
I'd rather have two individual volume knobs that a switch though, so you could blend the pickups to taste. I'm sure a tech could probably fix that easily with some rewiring and a stacked volume pot.
Nope, I'd give you two vol and a 3-way tone switch, who really needs more than 3 tone settings? ;)

Quote from: crunkhero on August 08, 2012, 01:28:21 AM
Since this is a tele guitar shape the neck would drop to the floor.
Completely missed that, had to go back and look at the picture again :o

Ayek

Is that neck pickup in the picture a split coil hb with a cover making it look like it's not? I see pole pieces, I believe

Mr. Foxen

zachoff

Played a Fender "pawn shop" Jag at GC not too long ago and it was a huge lump of crap.  Switch and pots were scratchy, it was set up horribly, and the ergonomics sucked.  Probably the worst Fender I've ever played.  Then I picked up the Squier '51 Tele and it was everything the Fender wasn't... Except it didn't sound very good.  At least to me.

MichaelZodiac

If only it was J bass model you'd get the perfect Mel Schacher bass.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan