Main Menu

Ampeg v2 cab vs. v4?

Started by Ombrenuit, June 22, 2012, 10:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ombrenuit

Is this a good cab for guitar? There's one in my area for $200.

*edit* there's actually a v4 cab for the same price. Are they both heavy? Good for guitar?

grimniggzy

pretty sure they're alright

VOLVO)))

Heavvvyyyy. Backs beware.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

I had a V2 4x12 for a few years and the ONLY reason I sold it was because of the classic Size vs What I Was Willing To Haul battle royale. Sadly, Willing To Haul won in the runup to a recent interstate move. Here's everything you wanted to know (and more) about how my V2 cab handled big, loud, dumb rock 'n roll:

• I did not like the original speakers at all. Flat and fizzy, much like a set of Jensens I once had in a Kustom 4x12. So, I loaded it with speakers I had on hand, which were: two Eminence
"greenback" clones – old and broken in. Great speaks. And two Celestion GT75. These get a bad rap, but I just EQed out their high sizzle and EQed in more mids. Prob solved.

• The interior padding might be okay for bass guitar, but it robbed the speakers of a ton of frequency I'm used to for guitar, so that had to go. Makes a HUGE difference.

• Now, with these customizations, the volume and projection of that cab could go toe-to-toe with a fullstack. Seriously. No poop. It's a very large cabinet, but if you're thinking of replacing a fullstack with it, it's actually a more economic option.

• Make sure it's got the Ampeg wheel tray or get some nice casters. Necessary, not optional.

poop.