Main Menu

Guitar lessons

Started by bass sic, June 15, 2012, 01:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

How hard should it be to find someone to give guitar lessons? I'm not 17 anymore and I'm just not progressing fast enough on my own, so I figured in my down time from any band I'll take some lessons. I contacted six people from my google search and got zero replies. I stated my age, how long I've played bass, days and time available. Not one reply.

The Shocker

Where are you?  Any guitar stores in your area?  Every guitar store around my area offers lessons or have bulletin boards offering them. 

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

YouTube has some good stuff, but nothing like one on one. I'll have to stop at GC and see what's on the board.

VOLVO)))

We can do one on one over skype and shit.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

Ima skeered of technology.

jibberish

idk, vs nothing, there are so many lessons online. and lessons for so many aspects or specific techniques/styles etc too.   i went through one guy's whole blues lesson series. i learned a bunch of crap.  also powertab is awesome for learning. even if you dont pay for all the services, you can still slow the song down to learn it=priceless

i'm a huge fan of chords and arrangements having come from a piano background initially. knowing chords lets you tear up fake books or old garage sale music books and quickly arrange your own version to play, or just grab onto the root chord of some song and you are in. the downside to being the chord beast was it was really hard to grasp the ideas of the riff beast, and i'm still on shaky ground there, but working on feeling riffs vs chords. The upside is that i am easily able to support the solo instrument in our little duo, be it the vocals or the horn.

here is my first chord lesson for you:
learn the following open chords, learn to barre, and learn how to barre these. once you learn these, you can move them around on the frets and play chords with 99% of all the songs there are.

E major    [hi e-->lo e] o-o-1-2-2-o
E minor                      o-o-o-2-2-o
A major                     o-2-2-2-o-o
A minor                      o-1-2-2-o-o

once you get comfy with these, i will show you where to add or remove 1 finger to play the 7th chords of each of those 4. then you are really deadly with 4 different chord in two different forms

DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR PINKIE, YOU NEED IT TO BE ON THE TEAM TOO

jibberish

^thats not really a lesson, just theory recommendations. but you do have to practice barre chords to build up that endurance if you are going to be using them.     the higher up frets are much easier to barre for starting out.

a trombone's natural scale is F-b flat btw. and we have a tune that uses F major(the open e major chord barre'd on 1st fret) and b flat major(the open A major chord barred on first fret heh).   if we practice that one, it has to be the last song of the session, becasue that one is a marathon barre chord fest mostly on the 1st fret, and im toast after that

bass sic

Cool, I'll work on those chords. Dexterity and finger strength are not one of my weaknesses, getting my sausage fingers on a tiny frett board is a weakness for me. I've got the blues penatonic scale down pretty good, and used to k ow all the modes. I need to refresh my memory on those. Just seems like it would be easier for someone else to identify what I need to work on/learn. My woodshed time is extremely limited and I'd like to make the best of it.

VOLVO)))

Play chords you wouldn't ever use.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

y'all know i'm basically a noob still, but i was just thinking of what one thing would get you the widest versatility the fastest.
i might have to make a video of a couple tunes that i string the melodies thru the chords. the chord sets up 80% of the melody anyway, then i figure out how to keep the right fingers free as i arrange it so i can play the rest of the melody notes.   i keep mentioning this because everyone here is into the riff. i was forced to do it all alone so to me, a riff is a bass line on a guitar, which isnt very full all alone.   
[and you can see how this "sound" works really well at open mics, campfires, parties and back yards. i can play for hours, all songs people know, and you know how popular cover bands are. for some reason, if you play songs people know, they dig it.]

BUT, the power i posess now is that i can pretty much play any song there is from the chords. i have a 2 foot stack of music books and sheet music collected mostly from garage sales but i bought some too.  i can play pretty much any song in that stack if i feel like it.  those barre chords help a ton.   you pretty much can play every ramones tune with those heh. kinks, and all the popular music, xmas tunes w/e......

so i was trying to share some of the main pieces to that ability if you so desire heh.

heh, maybe i make a video for sunno of a song that uses nothing but chords you never will play. jazz chords from hell.
i would be willing to bet, no one here could play that without some srs practice for a while. (the song is stardust by i think hoagy carmichael, willy nelson covered it at super slow speed. i wail through it really up-tempo, get everybody moving)

bass sic

VOLVO)))

Do it, do it! I play a shitload of chords none of us would ever use...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.