The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic

Started by mysteriousmammal, February 13, 2013, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysteriousmammal

The lineup is stellar. Ed Mundell, Collyn McCoy, and Rick Ferrante all have displayed their talents in other notable projects (TAB, Monster Magnet, Otep, Trash Titan, Sasquatch), but we all know that a a movie with too many stars in it usually sucks, unless Altman is involved. The good news is that this is a band that is BETTER than the sum of its parts. I had the privilege of witnessing this LP being laid down, and the band should have provided me with a bib and mop, because often after a 14 minute jam without a single bad note, I was left with mouth agape and drool on the floor.

Here's the lowdown:

If The Band of Gypsies was a cop show in space, The Ultra Electric MG would perform the theme music, space-chase scenes and be the house band at the strip club where the Huggie-Bear character liked to hang out. Robin Trower, Tommy Bolin (still living in this dimension) and Hawkwind would make guest appearances. Julie from the Love Boat would have sex with Tattoo from Fantasy Island while bathed in blacklight listening to Indian Ragas. And then, it would start to get weird.

Harlan Ellison would write an episode containing a space-whale hunting a deep-water submarine crew on acid. The captain of that submarine would be a purple Sasquatch who was also a double-agent for the space-whale planet. And just when you think they're all goners, in rides Jaco on a giant black seahorse and slays the whale with a harpoon fired from his bass all the while playing the fuzziest, nastiest bass solo of all time.

It's kinda like that. Only you can listen to it.

CanookieWookie

Absolutely stellar.  Sit back, relax & get stiff (or not  ;) ), and from the get go, you feel like you're flying through hyperspace.  I can't get enough of this.  This is like the missing album after ABII, although this is more like a cosmic journey, space travel if you will, taking you on a mission to discover a new galaxy. 

The first great release of 2013.  You folks need to get yourselves on board, and go for the ride.

eyeprod

Very good live as well.  And cool guys. 
CV - Slender Fungus

EddieMullet

A more down to Earth review would be if you've been disappointed in everything Atomic Bitchwax did after the 2nd album and found the last few Monster Magnet albums to be a bit on the dull side, then this is what you've been waiting for.

This is surprising good, didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I do.

I'd love to see them live.

MadJohnShaft

I've been listening to this quite a bit, very good.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

sleestak

Rockets aren't cheap enough could be my favorite song this year.  Great album.  Even the songs I wasn't that into at first are growers.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

MadJohnShaft

sludgelord is still an asshole though. Let's not get nuts here.

sludgelord3000

When Harlan Ellison agreed to do the spoken word spiel, one of the first things I thought was "Mad John Shaft from the internet's gonna dig this."

/Focus

MadJohnShaft

Oh yeah - what a great thing. Okay you're not an asshole.

It seems like high energy instrumental music would work in movies - are you shopping it around, especially overseas?

GodShifter

I've being loving this for some time now. It's one of the few things I've professed to like (and post about) on Facebook. Great album.

MadJohnShaft

James Franco can have it playing in his transam, during a driving sequence.

Seth Rogan could have it playing in the background, during a 'getting it done' montage

Gerard Butler could play a roadie, and this could be his walking around music.

Soundtracks and commercials are your best bets, in a post CD music landscape.

sludgelord3000

I'd be happy to be in one of those credit report bands.