One cab or two cabs, that is thee question...

Started by Dr.Zayus, March 01, 2012, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

whenever possible, i run two different amps together through an a/b box.....one set clean, the other dirty....it what keith richards always does....i reckon he knows best......

rayinreverse

i think multiple cabs sounds better.
but when it comes to playing shows and loading gear i am a gaint pussy. one 4x12 is enough for me.

jibberish

Quote from: RAGER on March 03, 2012, 11:46:05 AM
I've often pondered this same argument.  I too have read the 16ohm vs. 8ohm theory.  Here's a direct quote from Gerald Weber, author and amp builder for many many years regarding optimum amp performance.  This paragraph is referring to a 78 Orange OD.

"Change the output impedance that you are running the amp.If you are running your 4x12 cabinet at 4 ohms you are missing  a lot of what the amp has to offer.  Consider this: Your transformer has a 16 ohm, 8 ohm, and 4 ohm tap.  when the transformeris made, the 16ohm tap is the entire secondary, the 8 ohm tap is 70.7% of the secondary and the 4 ohm tap is 50% of the secondary.  This means when you use the 4 ohm tap, only half of your transformer is being used!
    Rewire your speakers to parallel/series.  This will get your cabinet to 16ohms. Next, run the output transformer at 16 ohms and you will be using the entire transformer.  there is yet another benefit.  when running 16 ohms, the turns ratio on the transformer is at its lowest which means there is less coupling loss.  Less loss translates into more dynamics, better tone, improved touch sensitivity and a little more volume."  end quote

So these things beg the question, why are most 4x12 cabinets 16 ohms?  Why not 32 ohms?  I've never had the chance or wherewithall to conduct an experiment beings I don't have the exact same cabinets wired 32,16, and 8 ohms to check.

Which also begs the question, why are old Fenders only equipped mainly with a 4 ohm tap?  

I am not an amp tech or an electrical engineer nor am I throwing doubt at you guys who are.  just pondering the different opinions of the young vs. the old ideas.

/no ground stake 8)
haha, you got me laughing on the ground stake. but you know, now we know the story, and i am feeling a lot better about generator setups down the road.  back to the subject. these are some good questions.

i wonder if anyone makes a 1:1 winding ratio xformer but with different resistance wire. heh

clockwork green

I prefer multiple cabs but I prefer them with different speakers like a 4x12 and 2x15 or at least a pair of 4x12 with different enough speakers to compliment each other.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Ayek

Quote from: jibberish on March 04, 2012, 02:13:59 PM
haha, you got me laughing on the ground stake.

That's right, he was all full of assertion with little credentials. Fun times.

mawso

RAGER

Quote from: Ayek on March 05, 2012, 01:33:24 AM
Quote from: jibberish on March 04, 2012, 02:13:59 PM
haha, you got me laughing on the ground stake.

That's right, he was all full of assertion with little credentials. Fun times.

you must still have sand in your vag from that one huh?
No Focus Pocus

Ayek

Not enough to lose sleep over. I'll be ok, but thanks for your concern.