Main Menu

FRED diodes.

Started by VOLVO))), February 21, 2011, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

From what I understand, if you have a solid state rectifier, you can replace those .05$ pieces of dildo diodes with 7 dollar FRED diodes for a MUCH improved sound... True or false.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Diodes is diodes ;)

Seriously though, the fast recovery is meant to help cut down background noise a bit, but I'm not sure if you care. I like a bit of hum in my amps so I know it's working. It's way too tweaky for me. You can cut down noise by running your power cables carefully (assuming we're talking hand wired tubes) and by using better tubes as well, this to me, is one of those icing on the cake things.

Best thing to do, try them, see if you like them, if you can hear the difference you win, if you can't your out a few bucks.

VOLVO)))

Would the scenario be the same if I were to dump a few into pedals?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

You mean in the power supply or as clipping diodes?

As clipping diodes, they would give your distortion/fuzz a different sound.

In the power supply, they'd not really affect any change, the diodes in a pedal supply, are usually just for making sure the DC is going the right way. The way to clean up a pedal sound is to build a better pedal supply, nice rectified 9V supply, with a big resevoir capacitor to smooth out the peaks and a regulator to keep the voltage clean and level, see the circuit in the Dantode thread.

Or you could use one of those rechargeable brick type supplies where you charge up a battery and it powers your pedalboard.