Main Menu

patch cords..

Started by mortlock, February 08, 2012, 12:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

what do you guys recommend for high quality patch cords..im looking at 1/8 inch as well as 1/4. 18"-22"long..different colors..thats what i want..1/8 " for a modular synth and 1/4" for fx..

Lumpy

For 1/4" my local music shop has rebranded cables with a lifetime guarantee (I think they are "Road Hog" or something like that, which they stamp with the name of the store). No cable failures yet.

I also buy the Live Wire brand (cheap) 1/4" cables from Musicians Fiend, if I am ordering other stuff and need a cable (I like to support my local store but I save 4.50 in subway fare, and an hour of time).

If you are fixing your setup into a set position (semi-permanent pedalboard/suitcase type setup) then the George L cables are great, because they can snake around tight corners, and you can make them the exact length you need. They're not that sturdy for situations where you plug/unplug your setup every time you play, IMO. There's other brands that you solder, that are "make your own". (the George Ls are not soldered) But I only have experience with George Ls, which I like for semi/permanent situations.

I did buy some cheap 12" molded plastic cables in a multi-pack (variety of colors) and a bunch of them failed, so I gave the rest of them away.

1/8 inch, I dont know. I would look at Musicians Fiend.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

Oh yeah, supposedly there is no difference in audio quality when using expensive cables, like Monster...
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Monster bad. The oversized jacks stretch out your sockets, rendering them useless.

Chovie D

George L's cut to specific lengths and never removed from the pedalboard.

For casual just thrown together one off pedal combinations i just use a bunch of 3-6 inch cheapo patch cables.

Danny G

I've tried using George L cables, and on the 3rd attempt they are finally working for me. Even on a fixed pedalboard i'd have them go out.

Only problem I've had of late was I have to unplug my bass wah to save the battery, that one went bad. Others are still fine.

Pro: cut to length and fit tight corners
Con: high failure rate but easy to fix
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

grimniggzy

RAGER

Quantum Gig Lines for everything.
No Focus Pocus

mutantcolors

I make my own out of old cables other people leave behind as "bad."

liquidsmoke

George L's suck and are way overpriced. Been there. I use cheap molded ones now and unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for anything high quality.