An interesting take on modeling

Started by clockwork green, February 08, 2012, 09:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

I've heard about this thing but never seen it in action before:

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

clockwork green

To me, the most interesting part is when it plays what sounds like random noise back through the speaker as test frequencies to see how the speakers react to different signals so it's not only learning your amp but your cab. I'd be curious to see how it can learn dynamics like backing off a volume knob or the different attack of different players.

cat shepard

Yeah you can model room size, mic, placement, you can even model voltage inconsistencies. I was always one that said I would always be able to tell the difference but it's impossible, you can't tell the difference. If you can then you just have to dial some more till you can't . That thing you've posted is nuts. I would still take a stance saying that, no the players nuances can't be recreated, at least yet. Wonder if it can do my death metal pedals inconsistencies? :D

Corey Y

I've seen some discussion about this before. An interesting take, similar to impulses (although not based on convolution, apparently), so it probably has similar strengths and weaknesses. Those being you can get a really spot on snapshot of a signal chain, but it's static. So it's not going going to have the same dynamic responses as the real amp/cab, like touch sensitivity. I think it would be more worthwhile as software application rather than an amp.

neighbor664

That's pretty neat. What I wonder though is if you already have the cool rig that you would want to model, what would you use the modeling amp for? I'm guessing some kind of digital "re-amping" of recorded tracks?

Jake

I'd love to hear what that thing could do with an amp with more "character." No offense to anyone that has one, but the TripRec and that Bogner are very squished, compressed gain machines. How would that thing handle a dimed '62 Bassman, for example?
poop.

mutantcolors

Modeling makes recording nightmares into wet dreams.

I'm sure this statement will soon be met with opposition.

clockwork green

To me it would only have a use for unattainable amps like Trainwreck's, Dumbles's etc and for possibly making amps that don't exist like a Matamp/Tweed Deluxe mash-up.

RacerX

Modeling? Sounds like easy money—I'm in!!

*tosses hair, pouts*

Show me to the catwalk...
Livin' The Life.

clockwork green

Somebody should make a modeling amp called Blue Steel

The Shocker

Quote from: clockwork green on February 09, 2012, 03:23:34 PM
Somebody should make a modeling amp called Blue Steel

But would you be able to turn the knobs left?

fallen

I would love to see a pedal board unit with this technology. Record with a full analog board and then clone each pedal in your collection to a modelling unit so you can save it as a preset to be used live. You could also save multiple presets of the same pedal on different settings. It would be pretty cool to be able to carry a close duplicate of every pedal in your collection in a small digital box.