Main Menu

Straps

Started by RAGER, December 09, 2011, 02:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

I've been using the same strap that my sister bought for me nearly 25 years ago.  It's a nice cushioned kind with the cushion that ride across my left shoulder.  I've always used that strap for my #1 guitars.  It's been helping me endure heavy Les Pauls for the last several years.  I've got other straps but nothing like this one.  I'm getting another Paul soon and I'll be playing it and my 12 pound 78 allot.  So  I need another awesome cushiony strap.  What's a good one?
No Focus Pocus

grimniggzy

I've used one of these as my main strap for bass playing for a while.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Onori-Distressed-Leather-Guitar-Strap-107220923-i1468975.gc
I got it for like $30 at samash on sale, I think it was on clearance because it's maroon.
It's great I've played shirtless and sweated all over her, no real wear to speak of and its definitely padded enough for me but its flat and not cushion-y which are all pluses for me.

Edit: here's the same kinda strap for $10 less
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ONO-L9PX-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

RAGER

That looks like a good one.  Thanks.  Anyone else.
No Focus Pocus

SpaceTrucker

I got a nice fat padded one from guitar center. Like a planet waves makes even my t 40 feel nice.

RAGER

Awesome thanks.  Weird that I don't know much about straps.  I spend all the big bucks on what really matters.  Amps , Guitars, and Ynwie weedley weedely instruction tapes.
No Focus Pocus

grimniggzy

fuck, i'd rather use string than pay that kinda loot.

Chovie D

I like the $5 nylon straps that are almost like seatbelts. plain black or whatever.
Them big leather ones are too stiff for me

RAGER

That's what she said
No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

I have a nice paded suede strap that is both good for heavy guitars and neck heavy guitars.  Pretty sure it's a Levy's.

Lumpy

Straps with a pad that slides around -- no good IMO. Especially if you're paying 100 dollars like that Gibson. Your shoulder might be in a different place, tomorrow? For 100 bucks, the pad should be fixed in place, and the strap is adjustable in 7 other places. Fender makes a vintage style strap with an adjustable pad for 15 dollars. "Adjustable" means you'll be adjusting it, all the time.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bbottom

I have a really nice padded one that cost me like $40 about 10 years ago. I'll have a to take a look at the name brand when I get home. But I've had a lot of different straps in my life and this one is by far the best.
I've always found the leather ones to be the worst and least comfortable.... But to each their own.

chille01

I'm with Chovie D.  Straps are one of those things I try to pay as little for as possible.  Anything over $20 is too much.  And I do have Les Paul.  Never weighed it, but its heavy.  Never had a problem with my shoulder hurting though. 

justinhedrick

Quote from: chille01 on December 09, 2011, 04:18:10 PM
I'm with Chovie D.  Straps are one of those things I try to pay as little for as possible.  Anything over $20 is too much.  And I do have Les Paul.  Never weighed it, but its heavy.  Never had a problem with my shoulder hurting though. 

i've had the same 2 straps for about 10 years. hundreds of hours of shows, practice, general fucking around, and i didn't pay over $10 a piece for them.

spookstrickland

I make my own straps out of Body Builder Weight Belts.  Nice and wide and stronger than anything you will find at guitar center.

Here is one I made

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

clockwork green

Jumpin' Jehosophat!
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

http://store.daddario.com/category/154819/Polypropylene_WideBass_Strap

I've got two of these, one for main bass, one for backup bass.

Main bass is about 16lbs

They're under $20, durable, and have a pick pocket, in fact they come with a free pick.

I used to suffer after about 45 mins on a canvas strap, since I switched I can go 3-4 hours, never actually played any longer than that without a break.

jibberish

a) i want that guitar shirt

b) i have a $20 strap from GC or sam ash w/e with the sliding pad.  this has been stellar for my LP studio. i know the studio isn't the heavyweight of the bunch, but i have no issues even after 2-3hrs of jumping around.

once you get the pad set on that "digs into your shoulder" spot, good to go...

Jake

After years and years of only using the $5 black Dunlops, I've found a strap company that I love – Souldier Straps

http://souldier.us/index.php

Handmade in Chicago by some chic using recycled seatbelts and reclaimed leather. They're not cheap but they'll probably outlast the guitar. Very comfortable for heavy guitars and long enough for low-slingin.

Here's the ones I've picked up so far:

poop.

clockwork green

Jake, I really like those, especially the last one. They remind me of the straps I saw when I was a kid.

On a completely different note...my main strap is covered in .223 bullets kinda like this one below but I think mine looks better.

My girlfriend got me one of those Moody Leather straps and it's so nice I can't really bring myself to use it. I've never felt leather that soft.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

peyotepeddler

i use a wide leather strap, i have a heavy guitar so the thickness distributes the weight really well

for many years i used straps like jake posted, but my geetar slid abit to much;)

liquidsmoke

I need a wide soft strap, my shoulder has been getting pissed off lately. Was at Guitar Center yesterday, they didn't have shit.

spookstrickland

Quote from: jibberish on December 10, 2011, 06:51:46 AM
a) i want that guitar shirt

b) i have a $20 strap from GC or sam ash w/e with the sliding pad.  this has been stellar for my LP studio. i know the studio isn't the heavyweight of the bunch, but i have no issues even after 2-3hrs of jumping around.

once you get the pad set on that "digs into your shoulder" spot, good to go...

Thanks I really like that shirt too.

I'm going to make a bullet strap next.  Years ago at the surplus store I got a big link of M60 rambo style looking blanks and I'm going to put that on the next strap I make.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org