Main Menu

Bass Preamps

Started by LogicalFrank, June 06, 2011, 12:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

It's the 800, yes?

Can I clip the bright cap out of IT? haha.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Probably, I found the schematic on talkbass, check it out.

moose23

For preamp in rack have a look at the VTbass 300 rackmount amp, has two channels so may be overkill for what you want. Personally I've come to preferr the Oxford pedal over the VT these days but I still have no plans to sell the VT.

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/tech-21-vt-bass-3002/5081

AS far as rackmount and lightweight power amps go I'd suggest getting the 44 calibre and a crate power block fitted into a blank rack case, or even two power blocks so you can use one as back up or even run stereo if you so desire. :) Although I;m sure there are other rackmount D-Class power amps already in production out there somewhere.

Right now I'm running my Oxford into an old Trace Elliot Mosfet power amp which suits my needs perfectly. Must actually get a pic for the rigs thread while I have most of it at home.

Hemisaurus

Those little Samson Servo amps are 1U and are about 100W a side if memory serves.

VOLVO)))

Would it be worth converting the Muff'n to a rack unit?

Still haven't found a poweramp... Any ideal numbers I should be looking for? Cab handles 1200ish watts, 4 ohms.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on August 19, 2011, 06:25:59 PM

Still haven't found a poweramp... Any ideal numbers I should be looking for? Cab handles 1200ish watts, 4 ohms.
How would I answer that question?

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on August 19, 2011, 06:27:43 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on August 19, 2011, 06:25:59 PM

How would I answer that question?

No, paint it green with spraypaint

and

power is power? I meant, is there any optimal power to push a cab with the 1200 wattage handling? Obviously not something 1000+ watts, because of peaks and what not, but is 600+ a solid number to search around for?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I was just meaning the bit about rackmounting the Muff'n, personally I'd say why bother, it's small enough to go in a pocket of a bag, and either way you still have the big ugly wall wart.

Power amp, go for whatever provides the power you need at the impedance you need. Don't buy a 1200W amp and expect it to put 1200W into an 8 ohm load.

Multiple schools of thought, get an amp bigger than you need, so it's got plenty of power for the transients. Get an amp matched to your speakers. Get an amp smaller than you need so you will never blow your speakers.

All of the above are relevant. There could also be arguments made against all of them, a lot of those arguments would probably be bogus internet bullshit.

So, get an amp <message ends>

VOLVO)))

Yeah, the wallwart that came with it is an oddity. Never seen the tip on it, I know if I lose it, or it gets tanked, I'm fucked. I may look into converting it to a normal negative tip, so I can more easily find a power supply for it. Raging voltages in there for a pedal, from what I hear? Wonder if that's why they went with that tip...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

It's an AC wart, so don't convert it, you will mess yourself up if you try connecting it to a 1 spot, several things will fail to happen ;D

You didn't look for that schematic or you would have known this already ;)

VOLVO)))

shush I would have figured it out soon as I went back and looked at the label on it, again. haha.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

It uses a transformer like the one Weber sells for taking 12V AC up to tube plate levels. I assume this allows them to work round some safety rule or other.

Course if everyone used a proper voltage like they do in the UK and Europe, none of this bullshit would be necessary, you can straight rectify 250V AC to get a good 350V DC plate no problems, if you don't mind the shock hazards ;D

MichaelZodiac

My question has sorta something to do with this thread: the only bass amp I own is a "Sunn" (it's a Fender) Mustang combo, the ST-30, it's rated at 70W. Can I connect a cab to its line-out input (it has 2 inputs, 1 line-out and 1 headphones) and put a some sort of pre-amp in the chain so that I can get some decent volume? Or should I just start searching for a decent head somewhere (building the cab myself).
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Hemisaurus

You would connect a power amp, the line out could also be labelled preamp out. Connect the line out to a power amp, and the power amp to a cab.