Man, youtube has some serious hacks posting videos...

Started by VOLVO))), March 27, 2011, 05:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I just spent about two hours watching how-to videos on youtube, just to see if people are doing anything new in terms of guitar repair. I am horrified at the hacks out there repairing instruments. Guys in their basements leveling frets with a non-trued hunk of wood, and some self-adherent sandpaper. People not masking fretboards when they're recrowning, not supporting the body on an acoustic when hammering in the new frets higher up the neck, using steel ball peen hammers on nickel frets, using fucking LOCTITE to hold in frets. These people are fucking BUTCHERS. These are the assholes who make my job 150% harder to do when people bring me shit. Hack fucking wiring jobs, hack setups, fretboard radii leveled out, fucked up nuts cut out of sub-standard bullshit material, tuner holes drilled on top of a dinner tray... Mind who you take your instruments to, these people could be close to you. Very close to you. I know I'm not the most "professional" guy, but I know what the fuck I'm doing, when you hand me an instrument. I'm a huge proponent of people doing shit themselves, it's a good experience, and you can learn a lot more about your instrument's inner workings... it keeps you in tune with your tools. (fuck me, I didn't mean to make the pun.)
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

inductorguitars

My tool in your hand puts a smile on my face.  ;D

I agree completely. I was going to make videos of my telecaster project, but my videos didn't import on my computer. So I scrapped it. I need a real video camera instead of my iphone.

When I started to solder the tele I almost forgot to tape it up.   :-[

VOLVO)))

I stopped using tape for solder protection a long time ago. We inherited something along the lines of a thousand t-shirts, so I have a shitload of the cut up, and I have perfect cavity sized holes in a couple, so if the solder drops, it lands on a t-shirt... no residue, no bullshit. I do tape fretboards, any time I do anything to 'em though. Tape is fucking expensive, blue painters tape has too much tack to use on guitars with painted finishes... have to use the green drafters tape... Today's project, a super distortion + an old Jackson Rail franked up. Rockin'!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

I hear that.  I'm repairing my BC rich bass that some douche not only butchered the wiring but also drilled an over size hole into the body and plugged it with some funky switch.  The pickups wiring was not even soldered it was held together by tape! 

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 27, 2011, 05:53:24 PM
I just spent about two hours watching how-to videos on youtube, just to see if people are doing anything new in terms of guitar repair. I am horrified at the hacks out there repairing instruments. Guys in their basements leveling frets with a non-trued hunk of wood, and some self-adherent sandpaper. People not masking fretboards when they're recrowning, not supporting the body on an acoustic when hammering in the new frets higher up the neck, using steel ball peen hammers on nickel frets, using fucking LOCTITE to hold in frets. These people are fucking BUTCHERS. These are the assholes who make my job 150% harder to do when people bring me shit. Hack fucking wiring jobs, hack setups, fretboard radii leveled out, fucked up nuts cut out of sub-standard bullshit material, tuner holes drilled on top of a dinner tray... Mind who you take your instruments to, these people could be close to you. Very close to you. I know I'm not the most "professional" guy, but I know what the fuck I'm doing, when you hand me an instrument. I'm a huge proponent of people doing shit themselves, it's a good experience, and you can learn a lot more about your instrument's inner workings... it keeps you in tune with your tools. (fuck me, I didn't mean to make the pun.)
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org