can a graphic EQ pedal "fake" a treble booster?

Started by justinhedrick, March 08, 2011, 02:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

and if it can, how does one go about doing it?

Hemisaurus

turn up the high frequencies, it's not quite a shelving boost, but you probably won't notice.

justinhedrick

does a treble booster add additional gain, or is the gain added because of the boosted high frequencies? (does that make ANY sense??!!)

Hemisaurus

Depends on the design. A graphic EQ is not going to be as smooth a boost, if you boost multiple frequency bands, there will be ripple on top.

It's all very zen, what is boost, if the signal in is boosted, and then attenuated again, does it still mean it was boosted? If you use a passive attenuation of the LF, and then boost, or use an active boost of the HF, if by the time it gets to the end of the signal chain, it's the same level, but different frequencies, do you mind ???

spookstrickland

Treble boosters are so easy to make.  Just build one or get a friend to build one and you are set!

I just built a boost for my guitar player and it was pretty basic.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

Lord Google, how I love thee  :o

justJon

I've seen stuff like that^^^before, but it might as well be ancient Chaldean Hieroglyphics, as far as I'm concerned. Is there an online resource for learning to read that stuff? Or do I actually have to enroll in an electronics/electrical engineering course?
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Hemisaurus

Well probably google 'reading schematics' will net you a few good resources, but here's my 5c tour.

Look at the bottom one, the blue lines are the connections.

The squiggly things marked R are resistors, and their value is in Ohms

The parallel line things marked C are capacitors in Farads (nF = nano Farad)

The picnic table on it's side, with an arrow, marked Q is a transistor, it's part number is 2N3904

The square and arrows marked J are the input and output jacks

The triangle at the bottom is the ground, where you connect the - of your battery

The circle +V at the top is the 9V where you connect the + of your battery

So apart from having to look up which leg is which on the transistor (it matters for them), all the resistors and capacitors (in this circuit, some capacitors are polarised (one way)) you can put in one way or the other hook the components together as per diagram, just poke the metal legs through a piece of card and twist 'em together. Congrats you made your first circuit  :D

eyeprod

heh, picnic table on it's side.

took me a sec to get it, but yeah the capacitor does look like that in a schematic.

those are pretty easy to learn how to read, and those circuits are a good starting place. when you try and build something from a schem it's easy to make errors. every time I make a solder connection, I cross off the corresponding line in the schematic. it's cool when you actually are able to make something!
CV - Slender Fungus

dogfood

spook,

you are growing up on our webbypages aren't you?!
Problem solving whiskey!

Chovie D

lotsa easy range master builds withut the need for schematics. Ive built scores of pedals and work on amps and cannot read a schem (not bragging, im actually ashamed of that)

regarding graphic EQ's being used to fake things...I DO in fact use one to fake the sound of a dobro.
The thing on the top right is my "Benbro" BB7, a boss GE7 with the sliders set to a comb pattern. Use a light weight slide (pop can, wooden dowel, or ceramaic bar and keep it to dobro style moves (no string bending)to get even closer to a reasonably convincing dobro sound

LogicalFrank

Love it. You have any sound samples, Chovie?
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Chovie D

I dont but i found this one by someone else using the same technique with a dano fish and chips eq.
http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Dobro%20Simulator/1.wma

peyotepeddler

cheers chovie, never tried that setting on my ge7

tried the comb method and the opposite of what you posted, totally usable sounds