The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Quote from: Muffin Man on November 19, 2020, 11:01:21 PM
ATTN RAGER,

Just retrieved from my mailbox after not picking up for a couple days:

Rad. There's a big multi part podcast they did too.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Update on the condition of that cover. I had a few knock-backs last night and near the end had a moment of grief looking at the cover, thought, folded it in half, and into the bin. Like closing a coffin. This morning I retireved it inna WTF moment. It shall continue to be abused! It's now an "art project". Further weathering ahead...

RAGER

Currently negotiating on this beauty.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

1969. Speaker codes for three speakers are 69 one is 72. Trying to buy just the cab. Those speakers make it too pricey for me. I don't need 50 year old speakers. Or want them.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Done. It's mine. Picking it up in the morning.

STOKED!!!  Full 1969 Marshall stack.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Congrats. Looking forward to pics and audio.

RAGER

I'll try but I'm super bad about that. I just wanna play. Prolly gonna pick up a squad of speakers for it. Scumbacks or Green Berets. Then I gotta stop spending money.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Got the new old cab home this morning. Full stack from my birth year and my birthday is tomorrow.

I ordered some WGS Green Berets. They'll be here Friday.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

band name: Nether
album name: Region

get on it people

RAGER

There was a band here about 10 years ago called Nether Regions.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Pissy

Quote from: RAGER on November 23, 2020, 10:59:08 PM
I'll try but I'm super bad about that. I just wanna play. Prolly gonna pick up a squad of speakers for it. Scumbacks or Green Berets. Then I gotta stop spending money.

We all know spending money on yourself after Halloween and before xmas runs afoul to those who can't figure out what to get you for xmas.     

Unless of course you make a cabinet purchase to create a gift channel for others to fulfill.  At that point you're actually doing a service.   Hell, it's almost required.   ;)
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Pulled out the tape echo last night.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Need advice. So i read throught the online collab thread and im not sure if thats what i need or not.
What is best way for me to lay down bass tracks on songs with guitar and drums? How do you mix it for best sound and volume levels?

RAGER

You mean collaborating long distance?  I'm probably not the one to answering but I think it's just files sent back and forth. The ou just load the files into your daw and do your thing. Keep it and do your own mix or send to somebody else with your tracks on it and let them have a mix at it. I guess?  Sorry if not helpful.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Im not sure what im trying to do. The band wants to record but im not in a position to fly out and join them so im trying to figure out how i can remote record bass trax.

Lumpy

Get their track and record along to it. Do you have an interface for your computer? (1/4" input for your bass, and USB output into your computer)? Behringer makes a cheap one, for a little more you can get a Focusrite one which is better quality but that difference might not matter.

Have you recorded into your computer before?

You could also do it outside the computer by wearing headphones that are playing their track, while recording your part.

Either way it will be challenging because when you're all playing together, little mistakes get covered up. But you won't have that, this time. So it might mean doing a lot of takes and really practice the shit out of your part.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

There's always six different ways to skin a cat. Depends on what hardware you got (laptop vs. recorder etc) and what source material the bandmates are providing you. You can even record your bass parts clean, directly into a computer (no amp) and make it sound good with plug-ins. Some people say it's good to have a clean version of your take anyway, in case you need to add some clarity back in. (Not two different takes, but a split signal of the same take). You can do that with a stereo output pedal that you don't turn on, also some tuners can do it, etc.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

renfield

Quote from: Lumpy on November 27, 2020, 07:32:28 PM
Get their track and record along to it. Do you have an interface for your computer? (1/4" input for your bass, and USB output into your computer)? Behringer makes a cheap one, for a little more you can get a Focusrite one which is better quality but that difference might not matter.

Have you recorded into your computer before?

You could also do it outside the computer by wearing headphones that are playing their track, while recording your part.

Either way it will be challenging because when you're all playing together, little mistakes get covered up. But you won't have that, this time. So it might mean doing a lot of takes and really practice the shit out of your part.

My experience swapping files back and forth with neighbor is exactly this, takes much more effort for me to get a sufficiently mistake-free take.

Muffin Man

Yeah, that's a great point. Also what makes jamming "the shit". Sometimes one-or-the-other throw out "a clam" and quickly covers it up. Or, it leads to the next switcheroo. Man, I miss jamming.

Mort, there are internet programs for rehearsing online. Somehow, I've never done it, where bandmates log on and rehearse. I would think that could be recorded, as in the old always roll tape. Takes a good connection and computer I would guess. If you want a link for further resaerch I can go find it.

Danny G

I think I may be getting to the bottom of my recent building slump.

Past half dozen builds have either been non-functional or kinda worked but sound like shit.

Which is annoying as hell in and of itself, but I'd like to get back into building things for people as a way to make extra money as don't feel safe playing out yet.

Putting together a commission circuit for a friend realized what I thought were 10k resistors in a bag were actually 1k. Upgraded to metal film so the color codes are hard to read. But figure they're within 1% of the value so don't bother testing them.

Oops.

Looking back several of the problem circuits had 1k and 10k resistors swapped around.

Fuck. Hoping this has been the problem all along.

Knew something was up as having this much bad luck in a row all of a sudden was highly suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

My eyesight is a huge reason I haven't built anything in a long time. The last thing I built was a very intricate multifunctional small box synth that had two boards and acajillion things soldered to both sides. It was a bitch and I kept second guessing myself. I can't always tell the color bands on those damn little resistors. 

But I will be digging into my old Holy Grail because it seems to have microphonic. Probably a bad solder joint I think rather than a failing component so it'll just being chopstick and solder time.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

I've had these glasses for a long time.

It's hard to see at night too so I just get in the left lane and go as fast as I can to get home. Just to be on the safe side.
No Focus Pocus