The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

I have been curious about their guitar cables. Couple of my 20 footers are cutting out.

I'm happy that dunlop is now releasing pancake flat patch cables.

Danny G

If it's a brand Guitar Center sells, they will swap out cables at no cost with no receipt.

(you didn't hear that from me tho)

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Lumpy

I don't like the kind of cables with a fabric wrap (they look nice, but in my experience they kink up easier, plus the potential problem of soaking up beer). The plain black ones seem fine. I'm going to order a couple from Reverb, in the next couple days. They're affiliated with Chicago Music Exchange (store) BTW.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

jibberish

good to know danny.  I usually grab most of my random doo-dads and cables from GC.
Had to run my dad up to the eye surgery clinic literally right down the street from GC yesterday. 
So when he went in under the knife I shot over to GC and grabbed a 3-pack of shorty pedal cables and a replacement whammy bar for my schecter.

the dude just looked at my model online and said "yup std  Floyd, here's what you want" and i'm GTG as of today.   also it probably helps when they ask my phone# and a whole list of prior purchases shows up.  "yeah it's me again JR the Strongstuckian" haha

I wish everyone could visit the North Olmsted GC. those people in there are all heroes. totally having fun. the vibe in there is better than any other retail store I have ever been in.

I need to surprise the gang with a couple random 6-packs of nice beer some evening just before closing...maybe I get locked in and we have a coke party heh.

jibberish

An old problem has finally been resolved regarding PC recording.

When I had my winXP PC, I had the best audio card ever for my uses. It was a soundblaster Audigy platinum.
the platinum meant it had a whole faceplate that replaced a  5.25" floppy/CD drive space and added a boatload of I/O in addition to all the usual stuff on the back of an audio card.
I could connect, record, route, playback anything from anywhere any way. That was so slick.

Later when I moved into the 64bit realm, soundblaster only offered crap cards mostly highlighting 7.1 surround or wtf, and PC BIOS' are all waaaay too user friendly. They wont let you do certain more subtle tweaks in the routing. I got one anyway because it has quiet DAC's vs stock onboard soundcards.  I could not get the routing where I could record something I was playing generated by the PC itself, like to copy a soundcloud for a pile-on or snatch really anything I wanted cool tune, sound effect, etc

Now that I decided to upgrade to Win10(the prompts were getting very annoying), I am glad I did.  One of the first things I did was try out that little question box with all the answers "how can I record what I hear on the PC" and I was led to use an updated version of audacity and this driver called the WASABI LOOPBACK. haha.

I looked at the devices in control panel to see if anything puked, and it turns out win10 turned both soundcards on and no fights.
So I set up the new audacity with the wasabi loopback and fucked around with the record input selection and playback output selection.
Much silence, then I got the combo, but it was looping and piling up and feeding back heh. BUT it recorded shit from the PC so I knew I was close.
Anyway, I just picked any different output that couldn't play and it worked like a champ. BOOYAH!!!

Instant Dan

I've been kind of frustrated in my stacking with OD and fuzz options.

I get a good crunch rhythm sound with my OCD and decent mid tempo fuzz sound with my Pharoah or Ramshead Muff but stacking both just means too much compromise on one or the other.

jibberish

^getting my old HM-2 going, then running that thing as a tone shaper with a touch of distortion still there even with Dist all the way turned down,
into the pharaoh, I have noticed a problem too:  the second guy in the chain owns the sound too much.  I have a ton of pedal-order swapping to do because a wah is a tone shaper too and is it easy to just go straight to garbage sound with all those distortion and tone circuits at once. this is a whole new adventure

i'm starting to see why many multi-pedals have switches to reposition either effect as 1st or 2nd in the chain.  Any order the pedals are in makes for a whole new master circuit with its own unique "cool" and "garbage" settings.

Submarine

Quote from: Instant Dan on February 11, 2016, 11:12:12 AM
I've been kind of frustrated in my stacking with OD and fuzz options.

I get a good crunch rhythm sound with my OCD and decent mid tempo fuzz sound with my Pharoah or Ramshead Muff but stacking both just means too much compromise on one or the other.

The Black Arts Sarcophagus is good for going from thick rhythm to full out nasty.  At least for me, your mileage may vary.

neighbor664

Hello?.....................I buy amplifier!

Instant Dan

That makes me miss John Entwistle.

Trying to decide between picking up one of those Superfuzz clones, the BYOC Leeds, or an octave fuzz like the Homebrew UFO.

Lumpy

I have a UFO, it's really good. The basic fuzz sounds great, and the octave is more noticeable than other octave fuzzes (based on Youtube videos and A/B'ing it with a couple of other octave fuzzes). You can dial the octave in to taste, too. I would offer to sell mine, but the last owner changed the octave stomp to a momentary switch (octave is on, as long as you hold the switch down) which seemed like a good idea, but it turns out I'd rather leave the octave on all the time. If you can replace the switch or if you like the idea of a momentary octave, let me know.

The Zvex Octane is a great octave fuzz too, expensive, but heavy.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Tell me if this is correct- Gibson intentionally puts the fatter "50s" neck on their lower priced guitars knowing that some people don't like them and will spend considerably more money on 'standards'/etc that generally have a '60s/slim taper/medium neck.

Pretty much every $400/500/600 Gibson I see on the used market has the 50s neck. Blah.

jibberish

^my cortez LP is a 69 black beauty copy, and then I got that 2000 LP studio.
both have the fat necks. I never really focused on the difference until I horsed around with red giant's LP's.
They were both the '63 or w/e thin necks and both those guys swore they were faster.

I call bullshit.    They all play the same to me.

Danny G

I like the fatter necks just because of the way they feel as opposed to any increase/decrease in playability.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

jibberish

^^I typo'd 59 up there, but I figure everyone gets it.

I can grab around the cortez  59 neck super comfy. in fact that will be my comfy guitar thread comfy guitar when I play some comfy song.

I was thinking back on the red giant days. i'm glad alex let me fuck around with the gear every now and then.
But what I was thinking about was how dead set they were on one specific pile of gear:  lp std -> big muff -> marshall stack. both of them had that same setup.
they had their thing going so I never said anything. I once asked them if they ever thought about getting a female singer. that did not go over well haha.

liquidsmoke

I find thin necks more comfortable and easier to fret although I probably have somewhat small hands for a 6 foot dude. I have no problem with big necks but I just don't like them as much.

jibberish

ok, so you have a comfort thing going on too.   That's the way I see it: which feels better.

I think the neck profile that messes me up the most is the wide thin profile, like shred guitars or 7 strings.

Have you ever horsed around with a musicman?   that thing feels like a toy. the neck feels like a piece of pipe it is so small and round, but wow can you grab onto that little guy.
I don't really like those guitars overall though, even if they weren't $1000+, which makes me really not like them.

Danny G

Quote from: liquidsmoke on February 13, 2016, 02:54:15 PM
I find thin necks more comfortable and easier to fret although I probably have somewhat small hands for a 6 foot dude. I have no problem with big necks but I just don't like them as much.

My hands are pretty dainty too. Surprised I can even play bass haha

Instant Dan

My first real guitar, gibson SG gothic, has a '59 neck carve. So learning on that and trying to play a jackson or Ibanez compound radius neck makes me feel like I am going to break it.

I am an average sized guy too with small purdy hands.

liquidsmoke

Never messed with a musicman.

I partly misspoke about Gibsons and necks. They do/did make the '60s tribute Les Paul and '60s studio. Most of these seem to have P-90s but some don't. Some have the 'faded' finish and are more in line with those prices.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: liquidsmoke on February 12, 2016, 10:57:56 PM
Tell me if this is correct- Gibson intentionally puts the fatter "50s" neck on their lower priced guitars knowing that some people don't like them and will spend considerably more money on 'standards'/etc that generally have a '60s/slim taper/medium neck.

Pretty much every $400/500/600 Gibson I see on the used market has the 50s neck. Blah.
A spokeshave can fix that. I'd offer that as a service if people weren't so "but omg its a new Gibson! Omg!"
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dogfood

Quote from: neighbor664 on February 12, 2016, 01:02:08 AM
Hello?.....................I buy amplifier!

ummm, I might be that guy, fuck, I am that guy.  I can't let go. 
Problem solving whiskey!