The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

Indeed, we were stoked! Since that Weedeater gig had gotten cancelled, this show was our return to the stage after a 4 year absence.

2 more:

Livin' The Life.

socket

You guys were fucking great, dude.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

justJon

Quote from: RacerX on September 14, 2015, 08:23:48 PM
Indeed, we were stoked! Since that Weedeater gig had gotten cancelled, this show was our return to the stage after a 4 year absence.

Apologies to any who expected the Monster kick. I only brought this as a backup, in case the backline was crap (it kinda was!) but This is the most intense sounding kit I've ever owned. Soundguy, audience, even Al Cisneros went out of their way to tell me so. This is probably the new SANDIA MAN kit! '70-'71, 3-ply maple/poplar/,\maple Ludwig, clear interiors. Smaller shells, 24", 13" 16", but pure fuckin' magic!
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

RacerX

Quote from: socket on September 14, 2015, 08:26:02 PM
You guys were fucking great, dude.
Thanks, socket!

Quote from: justJon on September 14, 2015, 08:42:19 PM
Apologies to any who expected the Monster kick. I only brought this as a backup, in case the backline was crap (it kinda was!) but This is the most intense sounding kit I've ever owned. Soundguy, audience, even Al Cisneros went out of their way to tell me so. This is probably the new SANDIA MAN kit! '70-'71, 3-ply maple/poplar/,\maple Ludwig, clear interiors. Smaller shells, 24", 13" 16", but pure fuckin' magic!

Yeah, they did sound pretty huge. A bit tighter & less ringy than the big bombers, too!
Livin' The Life.

mortlock

anyone have any A/V of the show?

jibberish

my realtime surround mixer concept just took a HUGE step forward.  I was just visiting my nephew, the crackerjack IT guy. We were hanging in his garage listening to acid king III. Of course he is going to the show.  I'm the designated driver, so my krue can have all the fun they want.   but I digress...

he was saying the android platform has sick control layers and the SDK's are a joke to make apps.    A processor can easily work a 4 channel mixer. my old soundblaster had a full 32 channel mixer inside it, so puppychow today.  the newer shmancy USB can MUX a whole shitload of data streams, or I could possibly commandeer the surround outputs..whatever.
At the end of the day, there will be a surface or other touch-screen tablet. on the surface will be X circles, each of which represents a channel of the 360 mixer. by touching and moving the pointer on each circle, each channel will be positioned in 3-space, live while performing.

furthermore, a whole bunch of automated sequences can be added in the form of buttons also on the touch screen, like "center/front all channels" button to reset the system to regular stereo spread stage. then crazy ones that can just spin the sound around the room. or flip side to side, or reverse the phase of one side for a second to suck everyone's brains out their ears, etc etc etc.
so I will abandon the 2 axis slide-pot joystick idea until the computer automated deal fails to deliver.

just imagine trippy synth sounds that are already pretty cosmic with the usual stereo and effects , then launch all that shit into living pretzels of sound moving all around the listeners in the sweet-spot circle........out in the middle of the woods somewhere really ecclectic..........yeah..

liquidsmoke

Got asked to join a friend's band on bass.. even though I'm not a bass player. Emerald Douglas doesn't have a drummer right now so I think I'm going to give it a try.

VOLVO)))

If you're a guitarist, you're also a bassist.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 15, 2015, 03:37:56 AM
Got asked to join a friend's band on bass.. even though I'm not a bass player. Emerald Douglas doesn't have a drummer right now so I think I'm going to give it a try.

cool brosky, I am considering a bassist audition for myself as well :)  I figure I can do it all but need to limit myself from drums so I get better at vocals guitar bass

Dylan Thomas

2016 is going to be a HUGE year for me musically....

Working on another Palace In Thunderland album, plus a split 12" that the details of which are forthcoming.  Maybe doing a tour with them.

I'm hoping to get started on recording my first solo album, which is going to surprise a lot of people.  And I've got one more big surprise in store for 2016....

Looking forward to it!!  I love making music so much....

The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

mortlock

congrats on a vinyl release. keep analog alive!!

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: mortlock on September 15, 2015, 04:11:28 PM
congrats on a vinyl release. keep analog alive!!

Thanks man!!  It will be the first one for Palace....
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: VOLVO))) on September 15, 2015, 10:36:56 AM

I'm a guitar player not a guitarist  ;D

This particular band will be all covers. Geezer's lines will challenge me a great deal but Witchfinder General, Vitus, and Pentagram shouldn't be too hard. This is right up my alley.

Along with this offer came an offer to play bass for one of the other bands these folks are in. I can play along with their material without too much difficulty but writing interesting basslines is another thing entirely. I need more time to think that one over but I'm leaning towards trying out.

Might be kind of nice to take a break from my own material.

Quote from: everdrone on September 15, 2015, 01:02:28 PM
cool brosky, I am considering a bassist audition for myself as well :)  I figure I can do it all but need to limit myself from drums so I get better at vocals guitar bass

Hey why not if you have time? Drums is the one that intimidates me the most.

liquidsmoke

Are light colored fretboards with black dots easier to see in low lighting compared to dark fretboards with white dots or inlays?

It may be hard for me to simulate this at a store. My Mexican P has a somewhat warped neck and I'm looking for something thinner anyway.

VOLVO)))

Send it to me.

I completely unfucked Lumpy's unfixable Jaguar.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: VOLVO))) on September 15, 2015, 06:00:16 PM
Send it to me.

Might take you up on that although I want something with a thinner neck because my wrists are kinda fucked so I'll probably trade it in. I'd get a short scale but I want 34" clarity for C or C#.

Me and cheap guitars... I need to invest in good shit. (although I had an experienced player once tell me that some of the Mexican made Fender basses are just as good as the American models)

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 15, 2015, 04:39:21 PM

Hey why not if you have time? Drums is the one that intimidates me the most.

cool man, Ill hit him up for more details about the bassist slot and look into it further, cheers :)

VOLVO)))

Re:
Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 15, 2015, 06:10:10 PM
Send it to me.

Might take you up on that although I want something with a thinner neck because my wrists are kinda fucked so I'll probably trade it in. I'd get a short scale but I want 34" clarity for C or C#.

Me and cheap guitars... I need to invest in good shit. (although I had an experienced player once tell me that some of the Mexican made Fender basses are just as good as the American models)

or I can shave it thinner. Just HOW thin are you talking? Ibanez thin, or like... a quarter inch thinner? It'll cost less than a new bass... maybe, depends on shipping really.

Oh wait, do you mean neck WIDTH? Not thickness?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: VOLVO))) on September 15, 2015, 11:48:57 PM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 15, 2015, 06:10:10 PM
Send it to me.

or I can shave it thinner. Just HOW thin are you talking? Ibanez thin, or like... a quarter inch thinner? It'll cost less than a new bass... maybe, depends on shipping really.

Oh wait, do you mean neck WIDTH? Not thickness?

Both, like a thin fast guitar neck. 4 strings don't actually need all that much room. I briefly played that 'Mikro' short scale(28"?) once and liked the neck a lot. I assume those and similarly priced full size basses are generally crap though and would be fret buzz city with low action.

giantchris

True, but a lot of the time you can tell if someone started as a guitarist or bassist on bass by note choice and note placement.  It's a little bit different.  From a perspective of just playing it though sure absolutely can do either.  You could probably play mandolin and banjo pretty good too I'd imagine since it's mechnically similar.       

zachoff

Yeah, bass is an easier version of guitar.

liquidsmoke

^ this and just 'playing along' with a guitar player are completely different. I have tons of respect for bass players who can do their own thing to make a song sound better and more layered, when that works for a song. This is being an actual musician. With my hack guitar/vocal/bass skills combined I still only feel like I'm 25% of the way there.

Lumpy

Playing bass for a little while will probably make you a better guitar player and songwriter in the end! You can learn the Geezer bass parts pretty easy, it's all pentatonic scale. A lot of bass playing is just mechanical (getting your fingers to execute what you want them to do, and stay in time/groove) which is just a matter of time and practice. You can totally do it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Right on Lumpy. It's not like we're forming a full on Sabbath tribute, I'm sure I can learn one or two songs on bass with enough practice(and tabs and my 50% slow down CD trainer  :D)