The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

^ nice

Tracking more today, found out my NOISEGATE pedal was the source of most of the weird buzzy noise in my rig. How fucked is that? Recording rhythm without it, the TightMetal has a built in one that removes most of the noise it causes at least. There is also the bit of noise caused by me wearing headphones but I don't think I can do anything more about that.

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on July 24, 2015, 05:24:17 PM
^ nice

Tracking more today, found out my NOISEGATE pedal was the source of most of the weird buzzy noise in my rig. How fucked is that? Recording rhythm without it, the TightMetal has a built in one that removes most of the noise it causes at least. There is also the bit of noise caused by me wearing headphones but I don't think I can do anything more about that.

cool pedal!  did you try plugging the noisegate into the tightmetal effects loop?  this guy seems to dig that route on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3rlEXvd-LI

dogfood

One day you people, just wait and see.
Problem solving whiskey!

Cursed71

Hey Liquid,
We missed the metal grill show.  Woulda been cool, but I had a BBQ planned at my brother's house.  Hope to catch Emerald Douglas soon though!

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on July 25, 2015, 10:44:52 AMcool pedal!  did you try plugging the noisegate into the tightmetal effects loop?  this guy seems to dig that route on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3rlEXvd-LI

I'll give it a shot. In my mind it would either place the gate after or before the distortion so I don't know what the difference would be to actually having it after or before in the chain.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Cursed71 on July 25, 2015, 07:10:48 PM
Hey Liquid,
We missed the metal grill show.  Woulda been cool, but I had a BBQ planned at my brother's house.  Hope to catch Emerald Douglas soon though!

I could really go for a grill out or proper BBQ myself. Light turnout but good show. The Conqueror Worm was probably my favorite set, that's a new 5 piece two guitar doom metal band with Jason from Subjugation on vocals.

Emerald is on a break for now and our drummer is more or less moving out of state. I have a possible replacement lined up so hopefully we'll be ready to gig again in 2/3 months. I want to cut down the repeats in the songs to make things less repeditive going forward, I think we were pushing it for a 2 piece without vocals.

I'm looking forward to your new album and seeing you folks live again!

Cursed71

Oh man, yeah I've missed Ellis's band once or twice now.  They are really new but I've heard great things.  I think Jason's brother(Protestant) is maybe playing guitar with them. 

It has been hard to not BBQ now that the weather is finally good.  Gotta use these days when we got em in Wisconsin.  It's been hard to catch shows

mortlock

anyone here know how to conduct good interviews?? I need someone to interview my band for a publication. they will run the interview if I submit it. it would be cool if it was real, instead of me interviewing myself..

Lumpy

Get Sean Beard to do it. "In conversation..." Double whammy.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Cursed71 on July 27, 2015, 07:41:38 PM
Oh man, yeah I've missed Ellis's band once or twice now.  They are really new but I've heard great things.  I think Jason's brother(Protestant) is maybe playing guitar with them.

Yup his brother is on rhythm guitar, chunky riffing and guitar face galore from that dude. I want to get those guys to Madison.

giantchris

^ nice

Thats weird and doesn't make much sense.  Maybe theres some dirt/grit inside one of the jacks and you can fix it with some contact cleaner.

Lumpy

Moved most of the heavy stuff out of my practice space yesterday, on one of the hottest days of the summer so far.   :-\
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

Since we got the band back together, I've been playing through a borrowed Peavey head & Marshall 4x12 at practices. Now the dude who owns that rig is taking it back to TX, so this weekend I'll be playing through my own big rig, which is currently taking up space at home.

It will be sweet to have my tone back. YAY!!
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: giantchris on July 29, 2015, 05:17:51 AM
^ nice

Thats weird and doesn't make much sense.  Maybe theres some dirt/grit inside one of the jacks and you can fix it with some contact cleaner.

It is quite weird. It is for the most part good at doing what it is supposed to do at least. I'm pretty sure this weird (but subtle) noisy bullshit has been going on since I bought the pedal new so I don't think it's grit. I need to do more experiments but I'll also read a ton of reviews and see if anyone else has experienced the same thing. Might be time to look into a different model.

everdrone

my noisegate decimator g string pedal kills all the noise, nice more natural envelope.  I use both noisegate loops so I plug all my pedals into the pedal's-effect-loop, and I plug the guitar into the noisegate pedal so that the guitar noise is also killed. 

I step on the noisegate pedal to turn it OFF whenever needed, and its true bypass so that effect goes away ;)

liquidsmoke

Quote from: everdrone on July 29, 2015, 11:24:49 PM
my noisegate decimator g string pedal kills all the noise, nice more natural envelope.  I use both noisegate loops so I plug all my pedals into the pedal's-effect-loop, and I plug the guitar into the noisegate pedal so that the guitar noise is also killed. 

I step on the noisegate pedal to turn it OFF whenever needed, and its true bypass so that effect goes away ;)

Want. I have the older one.

mortlock

my band finally got a decent review..
MAXIMUM ROCKNROLL #387  AUGUST 2015.

liquidsmoke

Today was 10 hours of mixing, mastering, Mexican food babies, and a flat tire. I hope we like these bounces tomorrow.

Danny G

Had the Ocean of a Stars EP release tonight. Fun show! Good to share the stage with good friends/bandmates from the Southern Gun Culture days.

Wore my SGC shirt m/,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

everdrone

Im working on my singing, I bought the Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy and have been doing it for 2 months: http://kentamplinvocalacademy.com/

I figure a few more months and I will be ready to record.  cant sing distorted/rasp vocals properly yet without hurting myself, might be a long time till I can do that.

I am trying out for a Nirvana cover band on bass, I got 2 songs down, need to make videos of em and work on the rest.

CHeers!!!

Quote from: Danny G on August 01, 2015, 02:00:02 AM
Had the Ocean of a Stars EP release tonight. Fun show! Good to share the stage with good friends/bandmates from the Southern Gun Culture days.

Wore my SGC shirt m/,

THats killer brutha! I saw yall live, yall rock it!  I would like to see southern gun culture if that ever happened as well.

spookstrickland

Quote from: everdrone on August 01, 2015, 07:07:39 PM
Im working on my singing, I bought the Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy and have been doing it for 2 months: http://kentamplinvocalacademy.com/

I figure a few more months and I will be ready to record.  cant sing distorted/rasp vocals properly yet without hurting myself, might be a long time till I can do that.

I am trying out for a Nirvana cover band on bass, I got 2 songs down, need to make videos of em and work on the rest.

CHeers!!!

I like Ken's videos.  He really can improve your singing very quickly,and get you the sound your affter.

Quote from: Danny G on August 01, 2015, 02:00:02 AM

Wore my SGC shirt m/,

THats killer brutha! I saw yall live, yall rock it!  I would like to see southern gun culture if that ever happened as well.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

everdrone

thanks for the encouragement spookstrickland! Im putting in the daily hard work. The training is going good, its a long journey but fun. 

jibberish

^ karaoke videos.

I am using folsom prison blues(johnny cash tune) in the key of F to stretch my bass range.

one more thing: don't yell or talk for a long time any more.  that can screw up your voice for days.

*************************************************************************************************

so playing with the b200 bass combo after watching corey's video about a dozen times I figured out really fast that the overdrive section on that amp is garbage.
it puts a lifeless buzz onto the sound and that is it.
the greta tube needs to go first THEN the pharaoh supreme for driving the bass combo. 
the tube can mask everything from the pharaoh in its distortion if turned up too far when I had it set up pharaoh first then greta.
the bass sounds nice into the greta just barely driven into that tube burble, THEN the pharaoh puts on the schmaltz on top of the tube sound. the amp needs to be as clean as it possibly can be and only tweak the eq's because the amp only adds garbage when driven with its own circuits, either gain or as I said, that overdrive section

mortlock

im in love with the little tuners you clip onto your guitar/bass headstock.

everdrone

cool jibberish, I sing along with my favs too, mainly stone temple pilots, while trying to apply the Ken Tamplin techniques to it like singing songs with no vowels (yikes)!  

I have played those solid state 115 combos in band settings and its rough but they can sound great in a low volume blues covers or jazz type setting and better with FOH help, I just have not had any luck with hearing them in loud rock bands though and they just teeter on the red clipping button for me  >:(.